Chapter Two

Chapter Two

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

"So Ashlen, tell me, what did you see?"

"Umm, not much really; all I can remember is Mark punching Kade , then Kade whooped his ass. And Jackson, I really don't see why I have to do this"

"Ashlen, I really need this for my article in the school paper, so can you please just co-operate?"

"But why me? I'm not the one who saw it from the beginning, rather ask one of the hoes who cheered them on"

"Ashlen, if you do this, I'll put your name in the article"

"Why would I want that?"

"People will know your name and you'll be popular"

"No thank you, I don't wanna be popular in school, I wanna be normal. I don't wanna turn into Tiffany or Britney or Amber or Andrea or Maxine"

"I'm almost finished, just a couple more questions"

"Okay whatever make it quick"

~*~

It's almost the end of the school day, and I'm more than thrilled.

Why?

Because we have lunch before schools out, which I find kinda weird, but its free food so why not?

"Ashlen! Come over here!"

"Okay wait a sec, I wanna get food"

"Okay! Hurry up!'

Marah will yell across a football field and you'll hear her. She doesn't give a damn, which is why we're best friends and which is why everyone likes her.

The lunch lady calls for the next person to get their lunch, so I walk forward with my apple juice already on my tray.

As I'm walking, I slow down almost to a stop when I spot a sign that reads: "please don't touch the food with your hands, use the utensils provided"

'Don't'.

That word will be the death of me one day.

The lunch lady is old and mean. She has already has grey hair and wrinkles, and I think she's like, 48 or something.

She sloppily throws a chunk of meatballs and spaghetti into my plate, not caring if the spaghetti falls off.

I see another sign that reads: "please don't cut in the lines, wait your turn"

All these don'ts are messing with my mind, with me.

Damian, the one who can't leave me alone.

The one who wants to 'own' me.

The one who follows me around.

"Hey Asslen, get a move on!"

I snap out of my thoughts in an instant, shivers speeding down my neck and spine; I'm scared to death because if its Damian, I'm gonna run outta here like some freak.

I turn around, only to find the school bully.

I'm just thankful its not Damian.

"Get a life Jacob, or maybe get some friends and leave others alone, maybe then people will actually like you"

"I don't need people to like me Asslen"

"That's not my name"

"Then why do you keep responding when I talk to you? Huh? ASSlen?"