21 | Devotions | 21

This chapter directly links to last chapter. Answer time.
Enjoy. Love ya <3 ~ Owl

~~~

-George's POV-

After realising I've zoned out for probably the third time today, I force my attention back to the medic before me. He's watching me in confusion. Confusion, not suspicion. Probably because he asked me a question who knows how long ago and I completely zoned out.

"Oh. I mean... are there any other people who are with assassins that aren't an assassin themselves?" Darryl sighs, and I notice Nick cringes. The assassin tries to brush it off, but I catch the warning look in his eyes.

"Not that I know of" Darryl responds quietly. "Other than Finn, but his job is just as prestigious. Not like a feeble market medic..." he trails off, suddenly disgusted by the bandages in his hands.

Nick cuts in. "Darryl, your job is extremely important. You're the best medic in the entire city, which is even more impressive. So many people would be dead without you."

"So many people would have their soulmates if it wasn't for me saving their targets and hunters" he retaliates bitterly.

"But you have saved so many people's soulmates!" I add, suddenly feeling worse for the medic. "There's so many people who owe their life to you."

"Zak included" Nick chimes in. "If you weren't as skilled as you are, he'd be dead. Several times over." Nick pauses suddenly, debating if he should elaborate. "Like that night a while back."

So there's a specific incident where Zak almost died, but Darryl saved him. From a while ago, judging by Sapnap's description.

"True" Darryl mutters. He doesn't look convinced, but his sad eyes light up a little at the mention of his boyfriend's name.

"Exactly. No matter your profession, Zak loves you." I giggle, remembering their first interaction when we entered the shop. "That much was obvious when we got here." Darryl blushes deeply, remembering the incident.

"I'm still trying to forget that!" Nick hollers in our direction. "If you have some bleach for my eyes I'd appreciate that too."

"Quiet, you muffin" Darryl smirks to the assassin. His tone becomes softer when his eyes trail over Nick's wrist. "You'll have your soulmate one day, I promise." He turns to me with a smile. "And so will George! I bet they're out there somewhere, waiting for you."

True, but I have to kill you to get them back.

Maybe I don't want them back. As selfish and ridiculous as it seems, maybe I don't care that they're dead. Because the boy I want is alive, in this very city.

He's got a soulmate of his own. I can't have him.

"Thanks" I smile back, deciding to keep the information about my soulmate a secret. I'm so glad he didn't need to check my wrists.

Suddenly the door flies open, a boy with hair so bright it has to be ginger rushing in. He carries a girl in his arms, blood pouring from her head. Behind them stands another boy, eyes wide with fear.

"You're the head medic in the city right?" The ginger yells frantically to Darryl. "Help her!" He lays the girl down on the front desk, and I immediately move out of the way.

The room fills with screaming, Darryl desperately trying to calm down the ginger boy. I notice in the commotion that the ginger boy and the unconscious girl have matching bands on their wrists. The same shade of blue to me, presumably a different colour to them. Definitely soulmates.