Chapter 36

The past week has been tough for our entire pack. It was hard for all of us to rejoice in the fact that we don't have to fear waking up everyday waiting for rogues to attack again, while mourning family and friends who lost their life fighting for those who couldn't. The only thing that kept me sane this week was Quentin holding me tight throughout the night even while I battled my nightmares.

I don't believe the nightmare will ever stop, but they have evolved. It went from confusing hidden messages wrapped in a twisted display of bloodshed, but now I'm plagued by a nauseating replay of the most heartbreaking moment of my life. The most horrendous part of it all is that sometimes it's not always Carl. The worst night was the night it was Quentin on his knees bleeding out as Eric took that final swing of the blade. Let's just say Quentin spent the next few hours holding me while I sobbed until the tears ran out.

Today's the day we meet with the rest of the Alphas and Lunas to negotiate the terms of a treaty and sign it. I would be more anxious about it but I woke up with a good feeling about today, and as Della motto has yet to prove me wrong. A different aspect of today that I'm not as optimistic about is trying to convince Katherine to stay with her pack. She's currently still staying on Mystic Rivers territory until the treaty is signed, and the remaining members of her pack can transfer to the pack of their choice.

"How are you feeling?" Quentin asks sitting on the bench next to me. He insisted that we make the trip last night before it got dark so I could take it easy. I didn't fight him on it because although I got my stitches out the skin is still sensitive, and shifting can be a little uncomfortable.

"Surprisingly good." I smile taking a deep breathe, looking out to the small creek that runs across the back lawn of Mystic Rivers pack house. "I don't know why but I have this feeling that everything's okay, yet a deeper part of me is saying that there will always be something we have to face head on. A darkness lurking just around the corner waiting for us to let our guard down." Quentin nods clenching his jaw. He's had difficulty dealing with the loss of our pack members, whom he told for years he would protect at all costs. The other night I heard him on the phone with Aidan talking about it, and I'm just glad he has someone to talk that understands his pain and will listen.

"We've been through hell already, but with you by my side I know we can make it through anything." He squeezes my hand leaning down and connecting our lips. Unfortunately it's short lived because someone clears their throat interrupting us.

"Hi dad." I stand up wrapping my arms around Fletcher, and I don't miss the small glare that he shoots Quentin's way. It's one of the small indicators that lets me know he still views me as his little girl, and I doubt that's going to change any time soon. "How is Brandon holding up?" Asher's Dad thankfully agreed to stay Beta until my dads can find an appropriate replacement.

"Each day gets better. The pack understands that he had no idea, and the support from them has lifted his spirits a bit." I'm happy that Brandon isn't as miserable as he was last week. The last day I saw him was when we all traveled to Jasper's pack to bring back our pack members home, which included Asher's mate Stephanie.

Asher claims she knew nothing, but I'm not sure I totally believe that. My suspicions didn't start until after we broke the news to her, which in and of its self was a rollercoaster because when we showed up at Jasper's pack we found out she had given birth to their daughter while we were away. Brandon asked if I could come in when him and my dads broke the news to her, and of course I agreed for Brandon's sake.

It was something about the way she was more upset than shocked that leads me to believe she knew more than she lead on. Her tears were relentless as she blabbered on about her uncertain future as well as her daughter's. At the end of the day I can't compare what her reaction should be since I've never been in her shoes before, and since there's no proof of her possible involvement I can't do anything but be cautious going forward.