Chapter 1: Caught!

Simon:

"Wake up! SIMON!" a harried voice shouted, dragging me away from the tight envelope of dreams. The warmth of the body next to mine, threatened to pull me back to my contented sleep. "SIMON!" the voice shouted again.

I hear the person beside me groan and shuffle in closer. I feel rough hands shake me awake. The eyes that bore down on me were no one, but the Mage's. I slowly pull myself up, the warmth being ripped away from my body. "I'm sorry, sir. Is there anything you wanted to talk to me for?" I ask, sleep thick in my voice.

What could have happened now, the term only starts today? Could there be trouble already? Is there more news about the Humdrum? There hasn't been any sign of him since the dragon...and that was before Christmas Break. I need to stay alert, what if the Mage is here to tell me of a possible way to defeat the Humdrum. Blinking the sleep out of my eyes, I turn towards the Mage, who's looking at me horror struck.

"What is the meaning of this?!?" he howls, gesturing at my bed. I look up at him, confused, before glancing down at my bed. Fuck! How could I forget? The Mage studied me with narrowed eyes, obviously waiting for an explanation. "Ummm...he...he..umm.." The thing is, I don't have the explanation he wanted. Instead I turn to the person in my bed, racking my brain for any type of explanation I could find.

As I gaze at him I notice that the sunlight coming in through the crack in the curtains, softens his sharp angles and makes him look younger and less troubled. His raven hair looks as if it is shot through with dark blue and his pale skin seems less grey in the light.

A smirk pulls at his lips, he's obviously pretending to sleep. That bastard! He's making no move to help me out in this situation. But I guess this is what it feels like to date my ex-arch nemesis, fighting all the time then both of us surrendering to the other. I feel a soft smile pull at my own lips.

"Ahem! Well?!" I had completely forgotten that the Mage was still here. Baz's presence has that effect on me. Like we automatically form our own cocoon that no one can get through. Well...except for Penny, as stubborn as she is, though it does drive her mad. "Umm...well...he sleepwalked...?" my voice sounds unconvincing, even to my own ears, but what could I do? I was grasping at strings.

I glance up at the Mage, his eyes speak of betrayal and a spark of anger can be seen. My stomach immediately fills up with guilt, I just lied to the Mage...I have never done that. But what should I tell him when everything is laid bare for him to see? Do I even care about what he thinks? Yes, obviously, I do...I've spent about 7 years of my life battling whatever the Mage told me to battle and trying to prove to him that I'm the Mage's Heir. But what good does that do when I can't even control my own fucking magic.

"Sleepwalked..?" his voice is dripping with skepticism. "Mm..hmm...," was the best I could manage. "Mmm...Simon, dear, what are you doing up so early? You're stealing all my warmth," came Baz's mocking voice, confirming all the Mage's suspicions. That arsehole! Does he always have to go and blow everything?!? I swear I'm this close to giving him a good punch to the face.

I can feel the Mage's gaze on my face, but I can't bring myself to look at him. When I finally gain the courage to look up, I notice that he's paled considerably and he looks like he's going to go bloody murder somebody. Thanks a lot, Baz!

"Simon, in my office in ten minutes! I swear if you're a minute late...," he lets the threat hang. The Mage was completely calm while saying this, almost scaring me to hell. The Mage was beyond angry, he was enraged. He gave me one last glare and swept out of the room, gracefully as if he was gliding through air. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and turn to the boy in the bed.

"Fuck you! You had to go and mess things up, didn't you?" I lash out angrily. His grey eyes darken and flash dangerously. "Yes, obviously the one thing I wanted was to mess up what we had here!" he answers back, sarcastically.

"Why, just, why?" I plead. I know we could have somehow worked something out. Penny would be willing to help. He gets up off the bed and stomps over to his wardrobe, banging the door open. "Because he was going to find out sooner or later!" he grits out, pulling out his clothes and slamming the door shut. He turns to go to the bathroom, I stop him with a hand tightly gripping his arm. I can feel him trembling with anger.

"Not if we couldn't help it!" is my answer, although I know Baz is right. We couldn't have hid our relationship forever. We were on opposite sides of the war, and one side would have found out sooner or later. Baz turns around with a look of pure hatred and anger in his eyes, "No, Simon! You don't get it! The Mage would've found out sooner rather than later because he's the bloody Mage and he gets his way! No matter how much you hide, he'll make it his personal mission to find out what it is that you're hiding. Everything is in the palm of his hands, especially you!"

That's it! I let go of him and stumble out of our room, urging my magic down. It would be no good to anyone if I went off. I blindly stumble into the Mage's office brushing away the few sly tears that leak out of my eyes.