Chapter 2: Everyone's Frustrated!

Baz:

Like 'sleepwalked' was going to cut it, it was obvious from the first time the Mage saw us there, he suspected the 'impossible'. Why not just prove his suspicions correct? That his pawn was off snogging his enemy.

 The water is scalding hot, judging by how much I turned the tap, but all I can feel is a gentle warmth on my skin. The feel of the water strips all the anger from me and leaves me with a large ball of guilt churning in my stomach. The guilt of what I said to Simon, but the truth is, I can't take back what I said, it's all true. Beneath all the guilt, I can still feel a tiny twinge of anger. First at Simon and then at the Mage.

My hands fist themselves up in my hair, to the point I swear I can almost feel the pain. Simon doesn't get it, he never does. He can't see through the facade that the Mage has built around himself. The Mage doesn't care for him, don't think he ever did. To be honest he doesn't even care for Watford much either, as he's not even here half the time. The only thing he really does care for are his reforms, the war and defeating the Humdrum. And for most of these he needs Simon's help.  

And there's also Simon. Simon worships the man like he's a god that came from the heavens to help him. Yes, the Mage might have shown Simon the world of magic, given him his sword and a wand, but he's also the reason Simon has to carry such heavy burden all the damn time. Since he was 11, he's known that he has to defeat the Humdrum and that he may have to sacrifice himself in the process. He's basically lived with the knowledge that he might die any second. Fuck, that's not living, that's just surviving!  

Simon must be getting an earful, by the Mage, right about now. Past me, would have thought about this and sneered, but now my mind only fills with worry about what's to come. We still haven't figured out who killed my mum, and thanks to Simon's and Penny's help, we're where we are now. If the Mage prohibits us from seeing each other, then I'm on my own in this mystery.

Out of frustration, I feel myself punch the headboard of my bed. The large cracking sound, snapping me out of the trance. The wood of the headboard had splintered in half. "As you were..." I cast, watching the wood slowly mend itself back together, as if it were stitching a wound closed. Sighing, I pull on my uniform.

I stop in my tracks as another thought strikes me. What if Simon wants to go back to how we were before the truce? What if the Mage somehow convinces Simon that I'm the bad guy, (though to be honest, sometimes I consider myself the bad guy)...? That'll just complicate things even more. Trying hard to ignore the screaming thoughts buzzing in my head, I drag myself out of the room, hoping I don't look as troubled as I feel.  

The Mage:

I couldn't stand one more minute inside that room with the two boys looking at each other with sappy eyes.  The whole situation leaves me with a feeling akin to the sensation of ants crawling all over my skin.  Seeing that Pitch brat all over my Simon fills me with such disgust, that I have to fight hard to keep down my breakfast.  

Knowing Simon for all these years, one thing was certain: he hated the other boy.  Simon would do anything to catch the boy red-handed. Simon was convinced that the Pitch was plotting against him, all the time.  He even thought the Pitch was a vampire.  What drove him to that conclusion, I have no idea, but I would believe Simon as long as he's got the evidence to confirm his theory.  If we could only prove the Pitch a vampire, we'd have the upper hand in the war against the Old Families.  

What could have gone through Simon's head to even think of consorting himself with that brat?  Moreover, what was Simon doing in bed with a boy?!?   He was dating that Wellbelove girl, was he not?  What could possibly possess him to do something like this?  What happened during Christmas break to change his mind completely?  What got him so intoxicated with the boy..?  Countless questions buzz around in my head, creating a slight dizzying sensation.  

 A deep and unsettling fear suddenly rises, if Simon is off with the Pitch boy, the Old Families would have us under their thumb. No...not unless, I can think of a way to stop that.  I need a plan to separate my boy from that Pitch.  

Simon needs to let go of his teenage fantasies, he'll have time to work on them after the war's over and the Humdrum is gone.  Now is not the time, I know he'll understand.  He always does.  Besides, Simon's forgetting to look at the bigger picture.  He's forgetting about the world we could create.  

It shouldn't be much a problem, getting Simon back on the right track.  Soon he'll be back to hating the Pitch and planning on how to defeat him.  Simon won't have any trouble with that, I know.  The Pitch's power is nothing compared to Simon.  Simon just has to figure out how to control all that power.  "It's okay though," I think, "because there's still time and I'm still searching for something that can help you."  I know I'm close, my hard work will not go down the drain just because of this little mishap.  

Penny:

Simon wasn't down for breakfast.  A pang of worry shot through me, he's always the first one down.  "He's a big boy now, he doesn't need to hold your hand to walk," I thought, fighting down the urge to go and check up on him.  Then realization hits and I know exactly why he's not down.  Thank god, I didn't make the rash decision to go looking for him.  Who knows what my poor eyes would have witnessed?    

I got to say it's quite an improvement, the two of them dating.  They've finally gotten over their childish problems and matured up a bit.  Though, I was quite surprised when I found out they were seeing each other (to be more accurate, snogging each other senseless).  Although, when I actually stop and think about it, it's not very surprising at all.  It just makes me wonder why I didn't notice it before.  

I still wonder what got the both of them to stop fighting and come to their senses.  Since Simon and Baz started dating, they've been quite inseparable, which to be honest is cute, but it can sometimes be a little too much.  Although they have half a mind not to do too much in front of me (they learnt it the hard way).  

I wonder if they're still going to act like they always do.  Well, I guess it's obvious, they'd probably want to keep it under wraps until we figure out who killed Baz's mum and what we should do about the Humdrum.  Besides I don't think they'd want to make a big scene of themselves, how arch-enemies became more than friends within a week.