Chapter 3: A LOT of Emotions

Simon:

The Mage turns to me the moment I enter his office.  He's livid.  "I want an explanation.  Now!" his voice is seething with uncontrolled rage.  I shrink under his fiery gaze, not even a whisper being able to come out of my mouth.  "All these years of training and plotting gone down the drain in an instant!  What about the war or the Humdrum?" 

"I'm still working on them... I..promise...I haven't forgotten about all this..."  I spill out hesitantly, my mind trying to focus on what I was saying.  Maybe that wasn't such a good idea, I realize a little too late.  The Mage's eyes are alight with anger and his mouth is set in a grim line.  When he next speaks, he's deathly calm.  "How can you still be working on them when you are snogging the enemy?" 

I silently take all of it in, the ball of guilt and regret in my stomach growing bigger and bigger.  Baz was right, we knew this wouldn't work out, yet I didn't think that the situation would become so much of a problem.  How did I ever think that this was a good idea?  The Mage continues his rant without a flaw.

"You're the freaking greatest Mage, why can't you just act like it?  First of all, you can't even control your power, how are you going to fight the Old Families, much less the Humdrum?  You can't do everything with that sword.  Second, you're off snogging the enemy!?  What has gotten into you?  Simon, you need to get a grip!"  These words hit like a knife being plunged into my chest.  I feel my magic surface for the second time today, and the urge to go off is much stronger than before.  It almost feels like a tap being turned on and left to fill an already overfilled bucket.  

The Mage has NEVER talked to me in such a way.  In a way that makes me feel small and powerless.  He'd always considered me equal to him, even when I was 11.  It's clear I've failed him, I can feel the weight of his disappointment hit me like a punch.  I feel sudden tears spill down my cheeks, but I do nothing to brush them away.  "I...I'm sorry..." I finally choke out.

The Mage just looks at me for several seconds, his eyes softening, but the look is gone within seconds.  His eyes harden to stones and he calmly says, "I'll give you two choices to right your recent wrongs.  You will either have to leave to the safe place I spoke to you about earlier this year or you will agree to have one of my men accompany you at all times.  He will make sure that you keep your distance from that boy and will inform me if he sees you frolicking around with him.  If that happens... I'll personally see to it that you're isolated without any contact from anyone at school, including that nosy friend of yours.  Now please, choose wisely.

**A/N:  Which one do you think he's going to choose??  Comment which one and why...  I'd love to hear your opinions.**

Baz

I walk into the breakfast hall, feeling Bunce's piercing gaze boring holes into the back of my head.  Ignoring her completely, I steer myself towards my usual table.  Dev and Niall were already there, munching away on their breakfast without a care.  I find myself effortlessly tuning out their conversation, my mind wandering to the subject of Simon and the mess of his life.  I knew this was coming since the moment in the woods.  

I should have pushed Simon away then, at least we wouldn't be in this situation now.  But, again, I was too weak to push him away and miss my chance of having his body held close to mine.  I study the hall, hoping to find the familiar blue eyes and bronze curls (that I'd gotten so accustomed to) in the crowd of students all down for breakfast, but Simon was not to be found.  Instead I find Wellbelove, staring back at me, her face a mixture of anger and hope.  

I arch my brow and smirk at her because I got nothing better to do and I fancied watching her get all pink and flustered.  True to my thought, her eyes widen in anger, but her cheeks become stained a rosy pink. She quickly averts her gaze, her neck burning the same color as her cheeks.