09 - P O I S O N

I stared at myself in the mirror

I stared at myself in the mirror. The sparkling purple fabric of Charlie's sister's dress clung to my upper body before cascading beautifully right down to my feet. It fit nicely, maybe not as flattering on my chest area as I'd hoped but it was all I had to work with. I'd curled my dark brown hair so that it fell behind my shoulders appropriately and my makeup was light and magic.

I felt like an imposter.

Like some rich boy's housewife to be. My heart clasped shut and it temporarily stopped beating as Kingsley appeared behind me. Even with my heels, he was taller. The ghost inspected me with an unreadable expression.

"What?" I turned around to him in question.

"Nothing," he shrugged. "You look nice."

I snorted unattractively. "Gee, thanks, mate."

"What?" He smiled. "Would you rather beautiful? Gorgeous? Stunning?"

I rolled my eyes and resisted the urge to slap his arm. I couldn't take his burning eyes on me for any longer so I ducked my head away.

The prospect of what could happen tonight scared me. I knew I'd be cornered by the richest in the area, looking like prey in their eyes but I'd never backed down from a challenge before. I was determined to walk into that gala looking like sex on legs. I'd breathe in their sneering like a drug and get to the bottom of this mystery.

It wasn't a challenge on who I'd investigate first. It had to be Felix Montgomery. Especially after seeing through Kingsley's memory, my suspicions were high.

Charlie had texted me earlier to say he'd pick me up at seven, I was sure he'd only agreed to pick me up so that he didn't have to be forced into a car with his dad for longer than necessary. I didn't mind though. I was glad to share the awkward experience with Charlie, he made it easier. Even though we lived in completely different worlds, we were practically the same person.

"Charlie will be here soon to pick me up," I said absentmindedly.

"What's your relation to Charlie?" Kingsley asked while I put on the expensive earrings my Gran had bought me for Christmas.

"We're just friends. My mum and his were best friends so we've always just been together," I mumbled the reply.

"Why does he call you Bambi?"

Involuntarily, a smile spread across my lips. "I was a nervous kid, barely left my mum's side. The only thing that calmed me was this stupid picture book, my favourite one. It was of that Disney deer, Bambi. Anyway, Charlie was horrible with remembering names and though I followed him around like a stray dog, he just kept forgetting mine. Soon, he got so tired of calling me 'girl' that he opted for Bambi instead. Yeah...it just stuck after a while."

"Where's your mum?" He asked hesitantly.

I looked down to my wrist to the handwriting with a soft sight. "I don't know," I answered honestly. "She could be anywhere at this point, with anyone."