01

Chapter One

Chapter One

MIRAI REALLY LIKE KYOSHI ISLAND.

Maybe it was because of the kindness she recieved from the people of occupied the island (Of course this was after she proved to them she was not a threat from the fire nation and was rather trying to evade some fire nation soldiers herself!) and the quick bond that she formed with the girl who was the leader of an elite group of female warriors, referred to as the Kyoshi Warriors. Or maybe it was because Kyoshi Island seemed to be the only place left untouched by the war that has been raging on for the past one hundred years. Kyoshi was like the eye of a hurricane in this war to Mirai, a small area of calmness, where the raging winds and pouring rain come to a halt, and is replaced with a sense of peace and calm. But Mirai knew that this moment of peace could not last and that just outside the eye of the hurricane awaits a merciless storm destroying everything in its path.

Mirai forces herself to ignore the thoughts of what awaits for her off then island and instead focuses on moving her body with with the flow of the waves that gently fall onto the sandy shore. It was a form of mediation her father taught her when she was just a mere child still full of innocence. He taught her to move her body with the rising and falling of the tide. The letting go of the older version of yourself and the returning of a new version, a better version.

Mirai moves her arms and legs gracefully, following the push and pull of the tide, and focuses on trying to let go of her old self and have it be pulled out to sea only for it return back to her anew, but her focus it broken suddenly by the sound of a deep roar.

Mirai quickly snaps her head in the direction of the noise, no longer paying attention to the tides.

She moves away from her secluded spot on the sand and goes to investigate what was responsible for such a noise.

Hiding behind the trees, she peaks her head around the side, and sees something she was not expecting. In front of her were three children, two dressed in blue attire, a girl and a boy, and a young bald boy with a blue arrow tattooed on his forehead. Despite the blue clothing, looking similar to the clothing worn by the people of Kyoshi Island, it was obvious to Mirai that they were not islanders themselves.

The young boy with the blue arrows began to remove his orange and yellow outerwear before diving into the ocean.

"Cold!" She heard the boy yell out, before diving back under the water. Mirai had to stop herself from rolling her eyes.

Of course it's going to be cold, there is snow on the ground!

She saw the boy once more emerge from underwater, this time gripping onto the dorsal fin of one of the elephant koi fish that occupied these waters.

That's not the only creature to occupy the waters around here.

Mirai was about to yell out and warn the mysterious group of the Unagi, a vicious sea creature that lived in the surrounding waters, but once more found herself interrupted, this time by the sound of soft feet moving through the dirt and snow that dusted the ground. She knew instantly those feet belonged to none other than the Kyoshi Warriors.