Your finest pot of English tea if you'd be so kind.

“Name’s Thomas” he said extending his hand over the counter. The other boy took his hands from his face and his elbows, which were now red, from the counter and took Thomas’ hand. He was surprised at just how strong the boy’s grip was when he took hold. He was slightly shorter than Thomas and much skinnier but looked like a perfect human being, a specimen, perfect build, pale(ish) skin that highlighted a few freckles on his arms and face. He had Sandy-Blonde hair that waved in all directions but didn’t appear to be messy and it perfectly contrasted the black shirt he was wearing with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows.

“Newt- nice to meet ya’! Mind if I call ya’ Tommy? Feels so formal to call you Thomas.” He shook Thomas’ hand and could feel the muscles move slightly taking a mental note as though to discover every indentation of his hand and map it out in his head.

“You can, if you tell me the story”

“The story? Oh… Well my real name’s obviously not Newt” he said motioning towards a table in the empty café for Thomas to sit down, he did and Newt followed suit.

“However, my parents had a rather sick sense of humour calling me Isaac when they knew my last name was going to be Newton therefore, for dignity’s sake, I elect to call myself Newt.”

Unintentionally, Thomas had once again slipped into a trans but this time had managed to pull himself together by the time Newt looked up from the table. “Newt it is then” Thomas said with a smile on his face.

“Sorry, I’ve only just realised you must have come here for more than conversation, what can I get for you? And since it’s taken me so long it’s on the house” Newt said with slight embarrassment in his voice and showing on his face.

“Oh, Newt, buying me drinks so soon- I’m flattered” Thomas said in his best sarcastic tone blowing a fake kiss towards the blonde.

Newt was blushing as he walked behind the counter but he managed it well and when he turned back to face Thomas he was none the wiser except for the grin that was across Newt’s face, “Don’t get carried away there Tommy wouldn’t want to get your hopes up too much would we?” He took a brief pause before asking, “So what ya’ havin’?.. While the offer lasts”

“Your finest pot of English tea if you’d be so kind”

Newt shot Thomas, who was sitting in his seat watching Newt looking quite proud of his attempt at an English accent, a not so serious stern glare followed with, “You bloody Americans, what is it with you and our accents?”

Thomas faked a hurt expression putting his hand to his chest as though he’d just been shot, “Don’t kill me Newt, It’s cute”. Newt fell silent and didn’t say another word until he returned to the table where Thomas sat, now looking out of the window with an apologetic expression on his face.

“There you go your tea… sir”

Thomas turned back to face him holding the same expression as he’d had whilst looking out of the window.

“Sorry, I don’t mean to make you uncomfortable, I’m just naturally a little forward with people”

“Hey don’t be a fool Tommy, it’s alright I don’t mind, in fact between you and me I kinda like it”

Thomas took a sip of his tea closing his eyes as the liquid made its way down his throat, “that sure is good; I can see why you like it”

The next few minutes were silent as Thomas drank his tea and Newt sat opposite him at the table just staring like Thomas was a puzzle, a maze for him to solve. When he finally put down his cup having drained its content he saw Newt looking at him then mirrored the stare. It was Thomas who finally broke the silence, “Well I’d better be heading home, try and get at least some sleep”.

“Oh, okay, yeah that’d be a good idea, I better be getting off myself”

It seemed as though that sentence wasn’t quite finished, like there was something else Newt wanted to say. There was.

“So- will I be seeing you in here again Tommy, maybe at a more normal hour?”

Does this mean that this guy actually wants to see me again? Even after my weird behaviour and crappy conversation. Not to mention the staring.

“Yeah, sure, I’ll be back in, tomorrow- well later today maybe?”

“Sounds good to me, my shift starts at 10:00”

Thomas headed towards the door and picked up his jacket that had created a small pool of water on the floor.

“Sorry” Thomas said pulling a sincerely apologetic face.

“Don’t worry about it I’ll clean it up before I head out- sleep well Tommy, it was nice to meet you” Newt said collecting Thomas’ cup and quickly wiped the table with a cloth he’d pulled from his back pocket.

"You too Newt and thanks for the tea" He opened the door, gave Newt a small wave, which was returned with a smile, then left heading home.