I'd love it if you came along

Thomas slept like a baby for hours. He woke up at around 11:00 to the sound of traffic driving past his flat and the sunlight shining through the blinds, not the orange glow of dawn that he’d envisioned when dreaming of escaping to a new life; he was half way there at least.

He’d always liked to think of himself as quite active and not one to take time to complete a task he didn’t have to but today it was taking Thomas forever to do almost anything. He walked around his flat at least three times before finally getting in the shower and getting dressed. He was just putting on his bright Blue sneakers when he remembered that he’d agreed to go by the Café, back to see Newt.

He quickly tied his laces and moved towards his full length mirror what he’d pulled the bubble wrapping from hastily before going to bed. He, eventually, concluded that he looked acceptable and progressed towards the door all the while remembering the boy from last night, his Sandy-blonde hair was a sight to be kept in your head, and Thomas simply couldn’t deny that this guy was gorgeous! With memories of their prior conversation in mind Thomas, practically glowing, skipped out the door and began to walk towards the café.

It was busy, busier than Thomas imagined it would be considering it was getting close to 1 o’clock. Do these people not have work to go (back) to? He thought to himself as he headed for the door whilst simultaneously scanning the people for Newt. He’d just walked through the door when he spotted him, that hair. Unfortunately, Newt didn’t notice him as he walked towards a table. He’d wanted the table he sat at last night but it was now occupied by a woman in her 40’s reading a newspaper. Damn that would’ve been cute.

He eventually found a table and he sat at it for a while. Eventually, a voice came from behind him that sounded somewhat strained hinting the stress so Thomas thought it must be one of the staff but not Newt because he’d not taken his… Where the hell? Newt had managed to move and Thomas hadn’t noticed. Totally not a stalker in anyway. He turned around.

It was Newt. “Hey there, Tommy, back I see” he said, matter o’ factly,  stating the obvious somewhat.

“Indeed I am good sir” a smirk planted across his face.

“You idiot” a small laugh escaping Newt’s lips, which was abruptly cut off when he turned back to the counter to see a ratty looking man in a white suit that couldn’t possibly stay white for long starred at him. “What can I get you today?” The sudden change in Newt’s attitude and demeanour took Thomas by surprise.

“Hey Newt loosen up, you don’t have to be ‘Mr Formal’ with me”.

Newt’s serious facial expression didn’t falter as he carefully gestured with his head towards the ratty looking man.

“Oh-hhh that’s your boss is it? Mr big man round here? In that case, sir” Thomas said adding a slightly playful tone to the word Sir that made the sides of Newt’s mouth turn up, “I shall have some tea”.

“Very good sir, one moment please.” As he turned away he winked at Thomas which caused him to blush slightly. Oh god that was adorable, do it again! PLEASE!

A couple of minutes passed and Newt returned carrying a tray with Thomas’ order on it and set it on the table, “Enjoy”.

Enjoy, that he did but not just the tea, Thomas spent the next 15/20 minutes or so watching Newt going about his business serving customers, wiping tables. Thomas gave him a small salute and a smile every time he glanced at his table which caused him look away shaking his head with a smile on his face. Eventually, Thomas decided he was straying far into the realms of creepy and finished his drink and motioned for Newt to come to the table, which he did.

“Hey you, I had better be going, can’t go letting me horde a table” he paused for a second thinking about what to say next then continued in a fake boastful tone, “no matter how unbelievably good looking I am”.

Newt raised an eyebrow with intense laughter threatening to erupt, “Oh, OH is that how it is Tommy? I’m only letting you stay because of your unhuman, god given, good looks?”

Thomas blushed furiously since Newt had raised his voice to the point that they were being starred at by people in the café, Newt just grinned, “Alright then Tommy, gimme two minutes, I’m owed a break… that is if you want my company id totally understand if you didn’t”

“I’d love it if you came along, it’s not like I have a clue what I’m doing, just thought I had better have a look around”.

The pair of them spent the next half an hour just roaming the streets of London, not going anywhere in particular, simply walking and talking; getting to know more about one another. It took Thomas by surprise just how quickly he’d made a friend here. This guy was everything he could’ve asked for in a friend, kind, funny, sweet and although it’s not a must he was really attractive.

Their walk ended back at the café with Newt ignoring the shouts coming from the ratty man as he stood half way in the door half out. What are you doing Newt? Thomas wondered to himself then, almost as if Newt had read his mind, he turned back to face him.

“Here, take my number, sorry about the mess but it’s a napkin and you can only write on them neat in fantasy worlds so”

“Thanks, I’ll be sure to text you”

“Ok, cool, good-good, erm sorry I gotta go- work and everything, believe me when I say Janson is a dick but I’ll see you again right?”

“Janson? Oh… ratty man, your boss”

“Ha, ratty man, I like that, Tommy. Yeah that’s him so I gotta go. But you didn’t answer my question, I will see you again wont I?”

“Of course you will, I knew you couldn’t resist my pretty face” Now it was Thomas’ turn to wink and cause the other boy to blush.

“Good. Bye Tommy” he said quickly wholly stepping through the door. Thomas smiled proud of himself, turned away and walked home.