I'd like that too

The next morning Thomas was surprised to be woken by a knocking at his door. Who the hell could this be? He looked at his clock and saw it was 8:02am. Oh they’re so very dead… whoever they are. An even greater surprise was that he found Newt standing by his front door. “Newt? Hey, what are you doing here at… 8 in the morning?”

“Hi Tommy, I have a very spontaneous and random question for you. How would you like to go to the beach with me?”

He’s right that was a very spontaneous and random question. “It’ll be fun I promise”.

“Can I at least shower first?”

“If you hurry”.

It wasn’t long before they were on the road and heading to god knows where and Thomas couldn’t stop thinking about the day before. Why had Newt held his hand like that? Is it possible that he might like Thomas? Even though it was only a week Thomas could safely say that he liked Newt but he was certainly fearful that it was unrequited and frankly ridiculous. When they arrived a couple of hours later Newt parked up near the sand and got out and strolled onto the beach glancing back only once to make sure Thomas was following- of course he was. Suddenly, Newt stopped in what appeared to be the middle of the stretch of sand and just faced the ocean, looking out at the vast expanse of water. “You know why I’ve brought you here Tommy?” there was a seriousness to his voice that concerned Thomas. “No I don’t, Newt. Is there something wrong? Are you ok?”

“I’m peachy Tommy it’s nothing like that, don’t worry.”

“Then what is it?”

“Alright, this is gonna sound bloody ridiculous ok but I need you to hear me out ok?”

Thomas nodded but didn’t say a word. The sun caught Newt’s hair turning his face into a dark shadow until it moved away and Thomas could once again see all Newt’s features. The pointed cheek bones and beautiful eyes.

“I don’t know what it is about you Tommy, but you’re different from all the other people I’ve met. You’re kind and funny and you just don’t mind being yourself around me which makes me feel happy being myself- no acting which is just a brilliant feeling. A feeling that I don’t want to end”

Newt sighed as though the words had drained him of all prior energy “What I’m saying is I love been around you, I don’t want to stop being around you… I want to be with you. I understand if you don’t feel the same and never want to see me again”.

Thomas walked over to the placing his hands on his shoulders looking straight into Newt’s eyes, “you know Newt, I came to England to escape, to build a new life. You were the first person I found here and you were nice to me and that makes you part of the foundations of my new life, so if you want to be a part of that new life all the way through, well… I’d like that too.”

Nothing more was said the two boys turned to face the ocean once more and Newt buried his head in the crook of Thomas’ neck and Thomas took hold of Newt’s hand and intertwined their fingers just like back in the café. The waves ran beneath their feet and sand stuck to the bottom of their feet. Thomas was going to build his new life and Newt would be an important part of that.