I'm being a bloody fool

So for the rest of the week Thomas would visit the café, visit Newt. They would spend his breaks either walking or sitting in the café talking about nonsense then Newt would go back to work and Thomas would watch for a few minutes before leaving to go work. He was lucky, he’d only gone to the local shop for some milk and saw that they were looking for extra staff, not many hours, not the best wage but Thomas still had his inheritance so money wasn’t a huge problem.

Saturday came around soon enough, Thomas had only been in the country under a week and he already had a Job and a friend.  It was a particularly cold day, Thomas made the foolish decision to go for a run that morning and he’d remembered Newt had said he was working an extra shift that day so he thought, Might as well go say hi.

When he got to the café however, the sign said ‘CLOSED’. Thomas was about to leave when he heard a shout from inside. It was Newt making his way towards the door. “Come inside you shank, its freezing out there.”

He made his way inside and to a table where Newt was already headed; it was the same one that they’d sat at when they’d first met. “I didn’t think you were here, the sign does say closed after all.”

“Yeah, I was supposed to be working that extra shift but Theresa, the girl that works here, called in sick and rat man couldn’t get anyone else so he told me to go home. However, not that you’re here I might hang with you.”

He noticed that Thomas shivered slightly so, without thinking about it Newt leant over the table and grabbed Thomas’ hand and cupped it in his. “Jesus Tommy did you sit in the freezer for an hour and go skinny dipping in the Atlantic before coming here?”

He hadn’t noticed that Thomas had frozen; staring at him with a questioning look but the sides of his mouth still turned up, like Newts, so when he did finally notice it didn’t worry him. Then he looked down at their hands and realised that their fingers were intertwined, Newt’s fingers fitting between Thomas’ like pieces of a jigsaw, perfectly matching. This time there was no hiding the blushing, Newt’s face turned so red it looked almost painful.

“I-I don’t know why I did that Tommy, I really don’t, bloody hell, I-I’m sorry!” He was apologising but when he tried to let go of Thomas’ hand, Thomas squeezed not allowing Newt to break free.

“Why are you apologising?” Thomas’ expression hadn’t changed which confused Newt, Why is he been so calm about this?

“Because I’m being a bloody fool!”

“No you’re not, your hands are warm, it’s nice stop worrying”

Is he missing something? I’ve known the guy barely a week and I’m holding his hand and he’s fine.

Seriously, stop worrying I honestly don’t mindThis broke Newt out of his panicked trans and he finally calmed down and slowly released his hand from Thomas’. “So you wanted to hang out? Movie?”

“Erm, yeah if you’re up for it. Hey they’re showing that new Dracula film, it looks cool.”

So that was it they went to the cinema, ate popcorn, drank cola and Newt forgot all about taking hold of Thomas’ hand. When they left the cinema, Thomas asked Newt in his terrible attempt at a British accent, “Would you care to visit my humble abode dear sir?”

“Quit it with that accent will ya’ it awful” he said through a laugh seeing Thomas smirking like a child, “Let’s go.”

“Yay!” Newt drove back to Thomas’ flat and he let them both in to the dark hallway from the door to the kitchen and living area.

“It’s nothing special but its home.” Thomas said in a way that suggested he was a little embarrassed of the place.

“It’s cosy, I like it Tommy, I’d love to live in a place like this”. This raised a question in Thomas’ mind where exactly did Newt live? He’d never said, never talked about it. After a few drinks and watching some shitty TV programme that Thomas liked Newt said goodbye to Thomas leaving him with a hug. Thomas was surprised at the strength of the boy, his small frame hid the strength in the kid. It was a nice surprise though.