Chapter 12: The Chase

Wasting no time, Radagast mounts back on his sled and Gailien can hear the wargs party closing in, just near the edge of the foliage where their only source of cover is. Radagasts' Rhosgobel rabbits are unnaturally fast animals and Gailien watches in slight wonder as the Brown Wizard rides away, quicker than he had come.

The Orc pack latches their attention onto the wizard, turning their tracks to follow him. The dwarves exit the foliage at a different point, leading them into the open plain which only offers them rocks as cover. Gailien starts off in the middle of the group with Bilbo and Fili as they follow Gandalf.

The Wizard hushes us behind a rock, peeking out over its edge and while Gailien cannot see it, she can hear Radagast and the Orc pack not far off, still on the sled's tail. Gandalf ushers the company in the opposite direction. Gailien runs - or tries to run. It isn't that she cannot perform the action of running but her strides are uneven to begin with and the rocky terrain makes it even harder for her legs to remain balanced. Slowly, her pace is outdone by the dwarves around her and though she is trying her best, Gailien is nearing the end of the company.

In front of her, the company comes to a stop, letting her regain lost ground. It is not a break to catch their breaths though as they stop in the open. On the horizon, Radagast is still being chased by the orc pack, leading them straight across their intended path.

"Move!" Thorin orders, his hand gesturing in the air with his sword. Not waiting to be told twice, and now at the lead, Gailien starts running again in the opposite direction. Now with a good idea of the footwork needed, her pace keeps steadier than before, but the Dwarves still start taking over in speed with Thorin in the lead.

They run in a direction slightly off course from the way they came, their only destination being safety. Gailien silently thanks whatever elf blood she holds as her breathing remains steady and there is little tire in her muscles yet.

Thorin stops once again as the orcs have moved across their new path. Ori, not noticing the leaders halt keeps running, only stopped by Thorin holding out his arm. "Ori, no!" He pulls the younger dwarf back under the cover of the rock. "Get back!"

Gailien and the dwarves wait behind the rock as Thorin and Gandalf stay near the edge, waiting for the hunting party to pass once again. At the end, Gailien rests her back against the rock, trying to use her hearing to determine where their enemy are but the sounds are spread out, giving no distinct location. Then her eyes glaze over and a different image appears before her.

Determining the orcs have moved somewhere else, Thorin and Gandalf order the dwarves to move on. Thorin waits for the entire company to pass him, both ensuring they have everybody and wanting to interrogate Gandalf.

"All of you, come on, come on!" Gandalf orders quietly. "Quick!"

Thorin glares at the wizard but doesn't take his eye off the company passing him, taking a mental note of who has and hasn't yet. "Where are you leading us?" he demands. He is not foolish, Thorin knows that Gandalf has a destination in mind and if his suspicions are right, he does not like it. Gandalf only looks at Thorin silently, which in the King's mind, is a confirmation.

They are about to move on but Thorin realises that still one of his members hasn't come past him. He looks over the company that has, making sure he hasn't missed her but alas, her small figure isn't amongst them. Cursing under his breath, Thorin sprints back around the rock but his pace doesn't stay long.

Gailien is still leaning up against the rock, her head and eyes set forward. "Gailien," he hisses. Gailien doesn't hear him, still locked in her vision. Thorin curses again, sprinting the rest of the distance between them. His anger grows and his mind can't help but seethe at her timing. Not wanting to put too much distance between the company and himself, Thorin bends slightly, locking his arms behind her knees and hauls her over his left shoulder. Her upper half dangles stiffly over his back and her legs are locked to his front with his left arm, leaving his right still free to wield his weapon.