Chapter 2: Worries and Rings

The company follows the lead of Thorin and Gailien. After meditating for over two hours the previous night, she saw enough to be able to determine the Orcs' path relative to their own. Her slightly pointed ears can hear the trickle of shallow water over rocks and that is where she leads them to.

"This way," she says to their leader, jogging through some more foliage. Thorin looks behind him, making sure his company are keeping up well enough. They have not seen any sign of the hunting pack in five days, but it would be foolish to think that they are not far behind. Only her foresight and Bilbo's scouting has kept them hidden this long. The beginning of autumn has arrived, and their time is starting to tick, a constant clock in his head. Sometimes Gailien leads them in an obscure direction, away from their intended path and his instinct twitch to ignore her advice and stay on the track but his trust in her runs deep enough to silence that instinct.

The shallow creek finally reveals itself. Maybe deep enough to cover up to their mid-shins, enough to cloak their scent. "Here!" The company catch up, congregating at the creek bank. Gailien points out to the direction the current flows from. "I've seen them cross the water and head that way. If we travel down through the water following the current, it will mask our scent enough to put distance between us and them."

"Well, what are we waiting for!" Dwalin exclaims, becoming the first to walk into the water. Her guess is right, as the water reaches his mind shins, the water riding higher as he stands against the current. At his lead, the rest of the company wade in. Some groan as their boots and pants become drenched and Gailien feels the same way but the water irks her for different reasons. The same way heights do.

Even Gandalf is heard grumbling as his grey robes darken. Gailien wades through with the company, letting the others move ahead as her lead is finished.

"You seem a little off today," Fili muses as he and his brother wade through the water on either side of her.

"Yes," Kili agrees with a hint of mirth. "Like something is on your mind."

Gailien looks between them with scrutinising eyes. Indeed, something has been on her mind, two things in fact. But neither would warrant such a suggestive tone from the princes. "I have some things on my mind that I wish to discuss with Gandalf," she answers, watching them for their reactions.

"And what are these things?" Fili questions, no sense of privacy. "Not to do with a certain Dwarf, are they? Though, I'm not sure why you would want to speak about that to Gandalf?"

"I don't know. He's old, he might have some good advice," Kili banters with his brother. Gailien snaps her head between the two.

"I have absolutely no idea what you both are on about. I need to speak with Gandalf about something I saw many weeks ago that has nothing to do with Dwarves or the company," she says, ending their little conversation over her.

"Oh, well that sounds boring," Kili remarks with a shrivelled nose as his interest is lost. Gailien rolls her eyes but smiles at their company.

"What were you both doing last night that got Thorin in such a snap?" Gailien questions, recalling Thorin's blazing glare at the both of them. "And in your native tongue at that."

Kili stays silently, his eyes wandering around the sparse woods, forcing his brother to answer. "We were uh...talking," Fili stumbles out.

Gailien raises a brow, tilting her head slightly in apprehension. "Talking? I'm not sure I believe that. For one, I didn't hear either of you speak and I doubt Thorin would be cross with you for talking."

"Well, it wasn't verbal as such. Dwarves have a secret hand language that we can talk with," he explains. Gailien is still confused.

"Was he angry because he didn't want me to see it? As a non-Dwarf I mean," she questions. Both of them shake their heads quickly.