Aggie, You Bitch

Song of the Chapter: Down The Line by The Beach Fossils (a rainy, surf-rock kinda song)

___

With her grandmother on the mainland for doctor visits, Remi was left to her own devices. She was sat on her skateboard, rolling side to side in the living room of the small cottage, having just gotten home from work. Her managers had tasked her with bolting down the hurricane shutters and bringing in all of the expensive outdoor furniture in preparation for Hurricane Agatha. The tv flickered, the local news station covering the incoming storm on a direct path for the island. Remi could tell that the female reported was fidgety, probably wanting to get her own home.

Though a small twinge of anxiety bubbled in her core, she had lived through more hurricanes than most adults. Usually, you could just sleep through a passing storm and clean up after. She didn't even have to board up the windows, her grandmother had done so days before. The woman had an odd dream- sure enough, the day after Loretta did so, the news announced Hurricane Agatha had curved its course straight for the island. Her grandmother never ceased to shock her.

A knock on the front door caught her attention, the girl standing quickly to see who it was. The bells hung on the door knob jingled as she twisted it open, coming face to face with John B and Pope. Both boys were in nothing but their swim trunks, their surfboards tossed on the ground just before the porch steps. A small smile formed on Remi's face, knowing what they were planning on doing.

"Wanna surf the surge with us?" John B asked, bouncing slightly on his bare feet. The idea of salty water spraying up at her face, her board under her feet, and rain pouring down on her made its way into her mind, enticing her to say yes.

"It was his idea." Pope assured Remi, who figured as much. John B was infamous for bad ideas, but what type of friend would she be if she didn't participate too?

"Of course it was." She nods. "I'll be right back." She assures, disappearing around the corner and into the hallway. As soon as she gets into her room, she changes into one of her sturdiest bikinis. Carrying her surfboard, she is careful not to bump the board on anything, making her way back to the front door.

She shuts the door behind her, the boys hopping off of the old bench on her porch, ready to do something they weren't supposed to.

___

"It's a double overhead out there!" Pope shouts over the loud crashing of waves.

"Double overhead?" John B says in disbelief.

Remi comes to a stop at the top of the dunes, the beach grass letting water droplets fall onto her bare feet. Her mouth gapes at the sight of the ocean, all choppy and grey. Thunder cracked and the wind blew the rain sideways for a moment. Her hair was soaked, sticking to her face as all she could do was stare.

She wondered how the furry, orange beach cat was faring through the storm. Perhaps it was huddled under a bench, or taking refuge in the woods, using the trees as cover. Wherever it was, it was probably plotting on how it would evade her urge to pet it. The girl said a silent prayer for the tiny creature, always preferring to 'feel' a prayer as opposed to speaking it out loud or even in her head. Call her a hippy all you want, but she felt like an omnipotent God could just know what she meant. She exhaled through her mouth, the breath blowing droplets from her lips. She stood for a split second, imagining the compassionate and hopeful wishes being carried up, through the rain.

Despite the danger of surfing a surge, Remi yearned to go out and do just that. She was a strong swimmer, and surfed with precise control over her board. She wanted the challenge that the storm brought-- the experience she would gain.