One Direction

Song of the Chapter: Why iii Love The Moon by Phony Ppl

___

The Boneyard was a one-of-a kind place on the island. When just about everywhere else was as separated as the wealth gap of the islanders, this stretch of driftwood laden beach was open to all-- Kooks and Pogues, alike. Tourists, without fail, found their way to every party that was held, drawn like moths to a flame. Beer was passed around all night long and hopefully, the party-goers could get through the night without too many drunken fights.

The sun was laying on the horizon, where heaven touched earth and gave promise to a night sky full of stars. A golden hue drenched the beach, the docile waves glimmering and reflecting the dying sun's last rays. Grasses rustled and the palm trees swayed in the summer breeze. Remi held a package of solo-cups in one hand and the bottle of Jameson for her and her friends in her other, skipping along the sand covered beach. She followed alongside Kiara, the girl's curls and the pins on her backpack bobbing as she walked, laughing at her cheerful friend.

Hopping over a sun-dried piece of driftwood that washed up on the beach ages ago, Remi walked further, stopping roughly in the center of the entire beach. A time-worn tree jutted out from a small patch of grass, it's branches lightened in the years of direct sunlight. John B and JJ dropped the keg into the sand, burying it only slightly to keep it cool. With the package of cups under her arm, Remi unscrewed the cap off the bottle of Jameson. She lifted it to her lips, taking a small gulp. The honey-colored liquid bit at the back of her throat, warming her chest as it traveled down smoothly. 

"Wow, no face. Wait, I forgot, you're Irish." JJ poked fun at how unfazed the girl was at drinking straight whiskey, not scrunching her face like most do.

"Ha. Ha." She deadpanned, not bothering to explain that she was of Irish-descent and not literally from Ireland. She was always told that some ancestor had settled in the Charleston area sometime in the 1700's, so she was quite far removed from the faraway island. She passed the bottle to the blonde, JJ taking a swig before handing it off to Pope who stared down at the glass bottle like it would bite him.

As she tore the package of cups open, she watched Kie smoothly toss the beer tap to JJ. He pressed it into the keg, purposely testing the flow of the nozzle right onto John B. They laughed as beer shot at the boy's face, John B taking over with pouring beers. Kiara lifted her cup in a thanks to John B after he poured her's.

"Here you go m'lady." He pulled a terrible British accent, holding out a cup for Remi.

"Why, thank you, good sir." The girl lifted the ends of an imaginary dress, curtsying to him before plucking the cup from his hands, leaving him smiling with his eyes lingering on her.

As soon as the contents of the cup touched her tongue, she knew it would be a good night. The cheap beer swirled in her stomach, and she hid her shoes away in the brush so they wouldn't get stolen. Sitting on a driftwood log beside Kiara, the two girls carry on conversation as islanders begin showing up. The teenagers of the island looked like true children of the summer. Most had tanned or deeper-toned skin, evidence of their countless days spent under the sun. As the beach began filling up with countless teenagers littering the small expanse of the Boneyard, the girls found themselves talking to boys who sat on either side of them on the driftwood. Remi could hear Kiara talking about zodiac signs with a boy who appeared to be only half-listening. He was caught in a trance by the enchanting Kiara Carrera.

"Their third album was their peak! You had all five members and they had evolved into authenticity." Remi spoke, her hands waving as she spoke.

The sun had set beyond the horizon now, a deep orange and bright pink were cast as far as the eye could see. She was talking to a boy named Liam Sandino, a kook she hadn't crossed paths with since elementary school.