Eye Drops

The doors to the Kildare Inn and Country club were all swung open, allowing both flowing air and the countless employees to stream through. The management had made the decision that morning that the place was closed to the public, due to the hurricane. The day before had proved to be much too difficult with members scattered around as the workers tried their best to clean up. Maintenance workers were littering the outside of the buildings, removing tree branches and such from the grounds. Landscapers mowed the golf course grass and the I.T. crew was working on bringing the internet back up and running within the building.

Remi, herself, had been running around all day long, at the mercy of her manager, Paul. With a clipboard in her hand, she took count of all the drinks in the outdoor coolers which supplied the beverage carts that ran around the golf course. From apple juice to vodka, she had listed and counted every drink there. Closing the last cooler she had to check, she sighed, growing tired and it was only around noon. She had spent the whole day with a twinge of worry pulling at her, afraid that somehow Paul would figure out that she had swapped the money the day before. She was already on edge, worried as well that her grandmother would figure out that she accidentally stole money from a now dead man and not-so-accidentally laundered it through her workplace. It sounded much worse when she spelled it out fully in her head.

She worried for herself as well.

Despite all the hardships she had endured in her life, she clung onto her kindness. The girl prided herself on not letting life tarnish that blazing light inside of her chest that shone outwards and warmed those around her. There was a true and undeniable strength in remaining kind.

A twinge of anxiety spread inside her at the thought that this may be the start of her losing her light.

Her sneakers slapped against the hot cement path, making her way towards the back entrance of the building, through the large dining area. She held her clipboard against her chest, her ponytail swinging behind her as she walked through the large doorway.

"Is anyone working here?" A shrill and entitled voice called out in the large dining room right as Remi entered. She stopped in her tracks, pursing her lips and taking a deep breath before walking any further.

Topper Thorton stood beside a table, his hands in the air in exasperation as he looked around. The boy wore an obnoxious polo shirt and boat shoes, his usual attire. Bruises adorned his slightly tanned skin, the only evidence of the fight he was in the night before. Remi would bet good money that she wasn't the first employee to stumble upon the boy demanding service, her coworkers probably had the right idea and left before he saw them.

"Everyone's working today, we just aren't serving guests due to the hurricane." She practically regurgitated what her manager had said at the start of her shift. She continued walking towards him, his full attention now on her. "There's even a little sign at the entrance, did you miss it?" She questioned, keeping the conversation professional and civil, yet knowing that she was getting under his skin all the same. Neither teenager mentioned the gruesome and violent events of last night.

"Yeah, my parents pay the full member's fee, so-" He drags out his last word. His words sent the feeling of bugs crawling just under her skin, his entitlement starting to bother her. No other country club members were being serviced, so why should he get special treatment? And besides, her manager had been very adamant that they were to work on their individual tasks and turn away any members.

And Topper was also a dick.

"Was it your mission today to bother people?" She fires back. From the arrogant customers who treated her like their personal butler, to a manager who couldn't do his job, Remi was starting to care less and less about keeping this job.