Palmistry

Song of the Chapter: Big Fat Mouth by Arlie

___

Live in the sunshine,

swim in the sea,

drink the wild air.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

___

It had been a few hours since Remi had discarded her shirt, leaving her in a simple blue bikini top, simply annoyed at the sun itself. It's heat battered down on her like an unrelenting God. She had a few beers, lifting her already high spirits and making her laugh at the simplest things. Her hair was drying in stringy chunks from jumping in the marshy water to retrieve a beer bottle that JJ had tossed in. It was followed, of course by a lengthy rant with Kiara about littering.

Her legs were crossed in front of her, holding the blonde boy's hand in her's as she examined the creases, callouses, lines and scars that covered his palm. The book she had brought along was open on the boat's floor by her side, the girl referencing it's pages whenever she needed.

"No this one is not sex life, I don't care if it's the main one." Remi traced her finger, nails adorned with a light purple polish, along the deepest line on JJ's palm, correcting his false assumption and bad joke. Callouses were raised in the pads of his fingers.

"Okay, what is it then?" He asked, genuinely curious about what the girl was reading about. She always had the oddest assortment of books on her shelves, constantly having one pulled out and lugged around with her to school or in a bag during the summer. She wasn't like Pope, where he read almost exclusively about mortuary practices. Her books were always about something entirely new every time.

Remi glanced back to the open page of her book, re-reading the words. A gnat buzzed around her head and she swatted it away, turning back to JJ's open palm in her own hand. The boy couldn't help but notice and savor the warmth as the back of his hand pressed against her's-- despite the heat of summer already blanketing them.

"It's the head line, all about your wisdom and mental health." She answers, taking note of the characteristics of the line.

"Is mine good?" He wonders. Remi stares at his hand, using her fingers to keep his from curling over his palm. He doesn't have it in him to acknowledge just how safe it feels to have his hand in hers, her finger tracing lightly down the skin of his palm.

"Well it's deep and thin, which means that you're intelligent-"

"Wrong." Pope blurts out, chuckling at his own joke as he steers the boat.

"Don't be rude." Kiara kicks his leg with her own, shutting the boy up as they all await their turns.

"You don't apply yourself, but you're smart in ways that aren't necessarily academic related. It's short and curved slightly which means that you're impulsive-" Remi glances up at the boy with a single brow raised, everyone knowing she's right. "The curve means that you're social and since it's close to this other line, it shows that you're confident and you'll be successful if you let friends help you." She inwardly chuckled, knowing that she could use that advice just the same. She stopped when she noticed the length of the head line. It was broken and shorter than average.

"What?" JJ fidgeted, excited to hear something else that the group felt fit his personality.

"It's broken." Remi looked over to her book to make sure she was right.