chapter three

one and a half months have gone by since i had found out that kurapika was the chain user that hurt uvogin. however, after hearing his story of why he has a grudge against my troupe, i forgave him. well- i more than forgave him, i wanted to apologize for the troupe's past actions, but i knew that if i did, then he would know that i was a spider myself. i had grown especially close to leorio, gon, killua, and kurapika in just a couple months. they had trained with me everyday and kurapika had demonstrated his abilities to me. i was always feeling guilty over the secret that i was hiding from my new friends and also that i never had told the rest of the troupe that i found the chain user.

there was always a tension when me and kurapika were sitting next to each other or alone- or even in public. i assumed it was because i was guilty and that kurapika could somehow sense that something was off about me. it made sense because i was always shaken up about the secrets i was hiding, but ignored it just so you could stay friends with them.

i always wore this brown cardigan to cover up my tattoo when my shirt couldn't. today, i was hanging out with only three boys, for kurapika was busy out with neon and the rest of his coworkers. "you're too innocent, gon!" leorio laughed, making fun of the little kid. i was laughing loudly, watching gon stick out his tongue at them. suddenly, i felt a shoulder collide with mine, followed by a steaming hot liquid seeping through my jacket and shirt.

"oi, watch where you're going!" killua yelled, cursing the man out and pointing a finger at the man that was already halfway across the street, covering his face and worriedly speeding off.

i panicked as leorio started to tug my jacket off of my shoulder, "y/n you should get that off before it burns you eve-"

"no!" i yelped, pulling it back on, burning my shoulder in the process.

"too late, we saw it," killua said, smug. "i knew it."

"i didn't suspect a thing-" gon said.

"how could you keep a secret from us like that? from kurapika?" leorio angrily said, tugging me and the kids into a less public area.

"please don't tell him, i promise i will do it myself! i-i think i.." i begged, pulling the front of the cardigan tighter to your body, tears in my eyes threatening to fall.

"you think you what-?" gon asked innocently. "uhm.. uh, anyways, you have two weeks," gon started.

"if you don't tell him in two weeks, we tell him ourselves." killua finished, closing his eyes and crossing his arms. i nodded with a thankful smile and walked over to my hotel to get a change of clothes. 'how lucky am i that we weren't hanging out with kurapika right now?'

eight days later

i was hopping on the top of buildings to the place where i would meet kurapika, leorio, gon, and killua to spar when i heard a familiar voice spit out dirty threats.

"so this is the chain user, huh?"

'fuck, that's machi's voice.'

"and to think the chain user was just a simple blonde kid. i would've thought he was a bulky, overconfident man. uvo, he really was able to injure you?"

"i'll kill you," kurapika's voice whispered, followed by the noise of conjured chains. i panicked after hearing kurapika - knowing his eyes were scarlet at the time.

i couldn't stand to listen to my friend and my closest family threaten each other anymore. i jumped into the dark alley from the top of the building where i spotted a raging kurapika and the rest of the phantom troupe there, about to engage in battle. the wind that blew as i landed caused my cardigan to flutter on my shoulders, revealing the spider that sat there, proudly. "kurapika!" i yelled, running up to him, subconsciously placing my hands on his shoulders.

the phantom troupe looked over at me, recognizing you almost immediately.

"y/n? there you are, we were just about to search for you."

"fuck that nobunaga, why the hell does she know the chain user?" feitan grumbled out, lowering his battle stance.

kurapika's eyes glew more of a red color than they usually did. i noticed and almost cowardly whimpered at him, seeing him so upset at me and. my family. he looked into my e/c eyes with fire burning. he then shoved my hands off of his shoulders and walked away, as calm as he could be. i felt helpless, i could only stand there, salty tears slowly flowing down my cheeks.

"save the scolding for later, phinks," machi said, pulling me into a tight hug, only to be followed by pakunoda hugged me even tighter. i could barely even feel their presense.

"leave, this girl talk has been long awaited," machi threatened, pointing at the non-female troupe members, including her boss. the non-females grumbled but still hopped onto a building and walked off, who god knows where.

"what happened?" pakunoda asked, squeezing my arms gently. i could feel a hand rest on my head, shizuku's.

"he was my friend," i whispered, crossing my arms around my chest and looking at the ground.

"right now, we aren't spiders and he isn't the one that hurt uvo. did you keep this ," she pointed at my tattoo, "from him, y/n?" i only nodded.

"i'm sorry, guys. i should've just fought him because what he did to uvo, but i didn't- i decided to make friends with him and the rest and-"

"it's alright, y/n," shizuku said trying to comfort me, which was something that was way out of her comfort zone.

"let's get back to the others.. wherever they are." i whispered, already feeling the guilt creep back up my spine.

"hm? where's y/n?" gon asked, looking around and sensing no one. "kurapika, have you seen her?"

"sure," he said, avoiding the question. "let's spar."

the three other boys looked at each other in confusion until killua said, "he probably knows." in which the two boys looked at kurapika with wide eyes. "fine, let's spar."