Chapter 14

The dream scared me so much that I had to crawl into bed with Mom.
"What's wrong, Prim?" she groggily asked me.
"Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you. I just had a bad dream."
"That's okay. Just lay down and go back to sleep." I did as she said and laid my head down next to hers on her pillow. I closed my eyes and imagined Katniss winning the Hunger Games and coming back home to us, safe and sound.
Eventually, I fell back asleep.
My mom woke up the next morning as the sun shone through the window. I woke up just after her. She got out of bed and started breakfast.
"Honey, can you go over to the Hawthornes and check on Hazelle for me?" she called from the kitchen.
"Yeah, Mom," I responded, rubbing my sleepy eyes. I got out of the warm bed and changed out of my nightclothes. I slipped on my worn-down shoes that were sitting by the door.
"Breakfast will be ready when you come back," said my mom.
"Okay!" I opened the front door and went down the street to the Hawthornes. The neighbors were just getting up and starting work. Many of the Seam residents worked in the mines. Some of them farmed. We often traded goat milk for vegetables with one of our close neighbors, the Pines. They were good people. I often played with one of their daughters, Holly. She was about my age.
I reached the Hawthornes' front door and knocked our secret knock. Gale came to the door, just a few moments later.
"Prim! Welcome. I gather that you are here to see my mom," he said.
"That's right," I replied.
"Come on in." I stepped through the doorway, and Gale led me to the back room. He quietly opened the door and peeked his head inside. He whispered something to Hazelle. He turned back to me and opened the door. "She's awake." He smiled and went back into the kitchen.
I stepped through into the bedroom and saw that Hazelle was still bedridden.
"Hi. How are you feeling? I asked her.
"I'm okay. Better than I was yesterday," she replied.
"That's good." I smiled at her. "Is there anything you need?"
"No. Gale, Rory, and Posy are doing a fine job of taking care of me."
"That's good to hear." Hazelle smiled.
           "How is that mom of yours?"
           "Oh, you know. She's okay. I'm a bit worried for her. There is lots of worry in our house right now," I answered.
            "I'm sorry, honey. We're worried about your sister, too. But she's an amazing hunter. You never know. Maybe she'll will."