6. Being the Shadow

When you had woken up, you were greeted by Morgan, who said nothing about you coming back late. She brushed your hair, something she liked doing, and you two chatted about getting new clothing since you were growing out of your old ones. Morgan had embroidered a lot of your clothing with little rabbits and doe. She made the dress code a little less annoying by that way, your dresses have albino rabbits and your blouses sewn with bouncing brown fawn. There was a little critter patch on the left breast of almost every outfit you owned.

You asked her to teach you how to do it, so she wouldn't have to trouble herself with it anymore, which she agreed to. She was just happy that you were showing interest in the more feminine activities.

"There's no class for you today." Morgan said as she combed through your tangled locks. She looked at you in the mirror. "I woke up to a letter being slipped under the door. You are needed by sir Solstice today?" You could see the unease on her face.

"Yes ma'am." You said. You played with the hem of your skirt. Before she could question you, you replied, "I'm just shadowing him is all. Nothing to be worried about."

Morgan huffed, shaking her head. "I thought you didn't like him." She looked down, jolting at a new thought, "He's not forcing you to... is he?"

You glance up at her, to see that she was focused on getting out a particularly stubborn knot. She had knitted eyebrows. You couldn't tell if she was frowning because of your hair, or because of your sudden change of heart. You shook your head. She didn't need to know. It wasn't like following Nathaniel for a day would ruin your life. It was just a morning, an afternoon, and an evening. Nothing more.

"I don't like him...but I figured I could get to know him. It would be unwise to hate him wouldn't it and who knows, maybe he'll choose me as his assistant... and I'll finally get to see the village." It would be awful if he chose you as one of his lackeys.

"Would you really want that?" Morgan gave you a pleading look, urging you to tell her the real reason. She knew you too well. You stood up from the chair, looking back at her before turning away. You marched towards the door, making sure to put a visible pep in your step.

"I have to go." You flashed her a smile. "I don't plan on bending my back for anyone so don't worry okay?"

She smiled, worry a too lol present on her face. "Well then, if that's the case." She laughed slightly. You loved it when she laughed. "You be good."

You saluted her, leaving before she could even think to question you again. When the door closed behind you, your smile melted into a frown. You sighed, grumbling to yourself as you walked down the corridor. It was cloudy outside from what you could see through the cracks. The clouds were dark and pregnant with rain. You didn't particularly like the rain very much. Not because it was gloomy per se, but because it made everything muddy and you tended to steam up. You had only been in the rain once, and as soon as it hit your skin, it sizzled.

The funny thing about it was that no one else steamed like you did, no one else did. You were already looked at like some strange animal by the other children and you didn't want to be seen as a monster. But unfortunately, you were a monster and the goddess cursed you with something like that.

Luckily, you were with Morgan when it all occurred. When she realized you could steam, she made you wear the heaviest rain coat imaginable until you got to the class building and she made sure to cover you well every time it rained, even if it was just a light sprinkling. She protected you a lot of the time.

You made your way to the cathedral. From what you heard, a lot of events happened in there. It was a holy place, the holiest place on the monastery grounds, the holiest place in Hilbrough. And with all those holy ceremonies and so on, you were never invited.