01

SIX YEARS OLD

SIX YEARS OLD.
(m/n) - 6
jaehyun - 8

2008
12:11

"woah, what's what?"

big, round eyes stared up at the refrigerator, more specifically at that one pink carton of milk in the midst of all the other plain colors.

he couldn't read it that well since it was so high up, but he knew that the writing was something along the lines of pees milk? pear milk?

he turned around to face his mother with glimmering eyes, and when she looked down at him, smiling as she nodded, he squealed and turned around again to open the refrigerator's door, tip toeing as his small hand reached up to grab the carton of peach milk.

but another hand had beat him to it.

confused, the small boy turned his head towards the culprit, eyes already watering (he wasn't really good at holding back his tears).

there stood another boy, taller and seemingly older than him by a year or two, glaring at him. "what?" he spat, not caring that it made the smaller flinch back and release a few tears.

"jaehyun!" a female voice called, distress clear in her voice. the two boys moved their gazes to a young woman who was running towards them.

"jaehyun, what have i told you about behaving?" the woman asked breathlessly, bending down so she was at eye level with the tall boy; who was apparently known as jaehyun.

jaehyun pouted. "b-but-" he began, pointing a finger at the crying boy. "h-he was g-gonna take the last carton o-of my p-peach milk!" his own eyes were beginning to water because of the woman 'scolding' him.

"oh, it's okay," the smaller boy's mother interrupted, gently grabbing his shoulders and pulling him closer. "i can buy more at a different store. your son can take that one."

the young woman straightened her posture, her expression regretful and apologetic. "i'm so sorry, jaehyun can be a little rude sometimes." she bowed slightly.

the small six-year-old boy was no longer crying, his tears starting to dry on his cheeks as he stared at the older boy; who was crying silently. he felt bad for the boy, but at the same time he didn't. that boy was rude to him, after all.

"it's quite alright," the six-year-old's mother smiled reassuringly. "just take it. i'm sure (m/n) won't mind, right honey?" she pinched her son's cheek lightly, earning a small embarrassed whine.

(m/n) continued to stare at the other boy, nodding absentmindedly. he turned his head to look up at his mother, eyes filled with hope, and his mother immediately knew what he wanted.

"why don't you introduce yourself to him, (m/n)?" she asked, gently pushing the (h/c) haired boy towards jaehyun, who was still crying silently.

(m/n) tilted his head innocently, shyly holding his hand out for jaehyun to shake. "hi," he began, voice quiet. "i'm (m/n) (l/n). nice to meet you."

jaehyun stared at his outstretched hand. he sniffed, walking over and taking it into his slightly larger one.

"i'm jung jaehyun."