Chapter Twenty-Three

You think after three days in the woods YongSun would be getting used to the routine but she wasn't. She would be woken up every morning before dawn to train with HyeJin, they walked for a significant amount of hours then when they settled for the night, she trained with Byul. She was glad to hear from the others that they would be slowing down as of tomorrow, they had made up enough ground. Her whole body ached and she was staring to dream of the bed she had back at the Knight.

When Byul was finally done with her training for the day, YongSun practically fell to the ground with exhaustion. She knew that Byul was taking it easy on her, she knew that HyeJin had her up every morning. Byul sat down next to her. "Make sure you stretch." She extended her legs out, showing YongSun how to stretch out the muscles they just worked. "If you keep it up at this pace, not only will you be wielding a weapon by the end of the week, you will be too tired to move." There seemed to be a small hint of irritation in her voice.

YongSun moved to her left leg. "We can stop the practice for a few days if it makes you feel better."

A large sigh, she rubbed her hands over her face. "No, sorry. I just don't want you pushing yourself to do all these things because you feel like you have to." She pulled her legs in, sitting there. "I get tired from walking all day and our sessions at night, and I am a trained warrior. You add magic lessons on top of that. Not to mention you toss and turn most of the night."

YongSun's face turned red at that last part, she had been having some... interesting dreams since they left the Knight. "I don't feel like I have to, it is because I want to." YongSun also pulled up her legs "I want to get a better grip on my powers, I want to do this training. We are almost half way to Henry's castle and I want to be as prepared as possible. I can rest while I am there." Besides she liked the one on one time she was getting with Byul, the others stayed away from them while they trained.

Byul nodded. "I can understand that." She looked YongSun in the eyes. "Just please try and take it easy, it should be better now that we are getting close, we won't have to keep such a high pace."

YongSun was silent for a long moment, mostly because she was tired, but also because she was thinking. "Do you think we will be able to stay together when we get back?"

She could have sworn she saw Byul's cheeks turn red. "What do you mean?"

YongSun rested her chin on her knees. "When you two were meant to come with me originally, you and TaeOh were going to be around, protecting me. Do you think Henry will allow that? I don't think I could be separated from you...two."

Byul smiled for a second but it fell fast. "I am not sure, but even if he assigns us to the dungeons, we will make sure that you are not left alone. We have many allies who will keep an eye on you while we are not around." YongSun tried for a smile, as much as she appreciated having people watch out for her, it wasn't who she wanted watching out for her. "Do you trust me?" Byul asked, bringing her attention back.

YongSun gave her a look. "Of course." She said without missing a beat.

"Then you will be safe, even if I cannot keep my own eyes on you, I will make sure you have good ones looking out for you."

YongSun smiled for real now. "Thank you."

"That is what friends are for." That was a sharp poke to her heart, it sounded sour on Byul's tongue.

"Byul!" TaeOh hollered. "Control your wolf."

Byul put her fingers to her mouth and gave a short and sharp whistle. Seconds later Arcadia came bursting through the brush, bounding for Byul, one wave of her hand had the pup skidding to a halt and sat at attention in front of her. TaeOh came seconds later, looking from Byul to the now very tame wolf. "What was she doing?" Byul asked looking over at him.