Part [3]

During lunch break Hailey walks into the lunchroom. She can feel everyone's eyes on her, but she was on a mission. She slides into the seat next to Scott. Stiles leans toward her. "How did you get into the crime scene?" Hailey smirks and pulls out her FBI badge. They both gauk at it. "You're FBI?!" Hailey chuckles and puts her badge away. "No, but they don't need to know that." Hailey turns serious and looks at Scott. "I smelled you on the bus." Scott pales. "But you weren't alone." Hailey looks up to see a group of other teenagers. She stands, but bends down to Scott's ear. "Go by Derek's later." And with that she leaves.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Derek and Hailey watch as the cop stares up at Hale house. There is a dog in the cop car and Hailey smirks. Derek looks at her. Hailey's eyes blaze bright red and the dog starts to bark rabidly. The cop gets scared and quickly drives off. Derek smirks at Hailey. "You've always had a way with animals." Hailey scoffs and spots Scott. "That's probably because I was one for a good amount of time." Scott walks up to the house and Hailey feels the anger in Derek's chest towards Scott. She rolls her eyes and walks down to the door. "Quit acting like a child Derek. He's just a stupid kid who doesn't know what he's doing." Hailey opens the door. Scott looks at her. "I could hear you, you know." Hailey smirks. "I know." She shrugs. "It's true though."

Scott turns to Derek. "I know I was part of you getting arrested and that we basically announced you being here to the hunters." Scott glances at Hailey. "I also don't know what happened to your sister. But I think I did something last night. I had a dream about... someone. But someone else got hurt, and it turns out that part of the dream might have actually happened." Derek nods. "You think you attacked the driver." Scott looks at Hailey. "You saw what I did last night." Hailey takes a deep breath. "I told you Scott, there was someone else there." Scott shakes his head, not fully believing Hailey, though some part of him felt as though he had to. "Can you tell me the truth? Am I going to hurt someone?" Derek nods. "Yes." Hailey stares at her brother. "Could I kill someone?"

"Yes."

"Am I going to kill someone?"

"Probably."

Scott leans against a pillar, and Derek steps up to him. "Look, we can show you how to remember. We can show you how to control the shift, even on a full moon." Derek pauses and Hailey puts a hand on Scott's shoulder. "But it's not going to come for free." Scott shakes his head. "What do you want?" Hailey glances at Derek. "You'll find out." Hailey rolls her eyes. Derek never makes things easy. "But for now I'm going to give you what you want." Scott looks at Derek. "Go back to the bus. Go inside. See it, feel it. Let your senses-- your sight, smell, touch-- Let them remember for you." Scott shakes his head. "That's it? Just-- Just go back?" Hailey gives Scott's shoulder a squeeze then lets go. "Do you wanna know what happened?" Scott looks up. "I just want to know if I hurt him." Derek shakes his head. "No, you don't. You want to know if you'll hurt her."

Derek walks back inside. Hailey searches Scott's eyes. "I can go with you." He looks at her. "I can't go in the bus with you but I can come." Scott shakes his head. "Why do you care so much? Why are you being so nice?" Scott points to the door. "He sure as hell isn't." Hailey sighs. "Derek is a very complicated person, but he's also one of the best people I know." Hailey grabs Scott's shoulder and guides him away from the house. "And I care because I wish I had someone to help me when I was going through what you are."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Stiles shuts off his engine and attempts to get out with Scott, but Hailey grabs his shoulder and shakes her head. "Uh uh. He needs to do this alone. Your scent is going to screw with his senses." Hailey scowls. "You reek dude." Scott laughs and gets out to climb the gate. A few minutes later a guard starts to walk toward the bus. Stiles starts slamming on the horn. Scott comes running out of the bus and jumps off the top of a car to get over the gate. He jumps into the car and Stiles takes off. "Did it work? Did you remember?" Hailey glances back at the gate. "Yeah, I was there last night and the blood-- A Lot of it was mine." Scott glances back at Hailey. "So you did attack him?" Scott shakes his head. "No. There were glowing eyes on the bus, but they weren't mine." Scott glances at Hailey. "It was Derek." Hailey shakes her head. "No, I know Derek's scent. He wasn't near that bus." Stiles glares at Hailey. "You're on his side, of course you would defend him." Hailey rolls her eyes. "Scott, what color were the eyes?" Scott creases his eyebrows in thought. "Red. They were red." Hailey leans back in her seat. "Well there you go." They both look at her. She rolls her eyes. "Derek's eyes glow blue." Stiles glares at her again. "Your eyes are red." Hailey scoffs. "Seriously?" She sticks her arm in Scott's face and cuts it with her claw. "Take a whiff." Scott hesitantly does so. Hailey nods. "I'm guessing you didn't smell me on that bus, did you?" Scott shakes his head, but he and Stiles share a look.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Hailey walks into the room just in time to see Scott fall back into the chair. "Believe me now?" Scott glances at her and nods. "There's another." Hailey nods and steps forward. "It's called an Alpha. It's the most dangerous of our kind." Derek glances at Hailey. "You and I, we're betas. This thing is more powerful, more animal than either of us. My sister came here looking for him." Hailey stands next to Derek. "And now we're trying to find him, but I don't think we can do it without you." Scott pants. "Why me?" Hailey sighs. "Because he's the one that bit you. You're part of his pack." Scott looks up. "It's you Scott. You're the one he wants." Scott looks at Hailey. "But you're not a beta." Hailey smirks. "Are you?" Hailey shakes her head. "Laura told me what was going on and asked if I could." Hailey reveals her Alpha eyes. "Because who better to fight an alpha than an alpha?" Scott stares at her and Derek steps forward. "Hailey is extremely powerful." Scott glances at her again. "Possibly even more powerful than this Alpha." Scott shakes his head. "But how is that possible? How are you even an alpha?" Hailey helps Scott to his feet. "That's a story for another time." They walk out of the house. "Until we figure out what our next play is," Hailey pats Scott's back. "You're stuck with me."

1208 WORDS