The Council of 9

The Grand Provost Perian Milaudr took his seat at the head of the chamber. He glanced up at the council and asked "What's our current situation." The council looked at him with grim expressions. They knew their current situation was hopeless and it was only a matter of time before their world was no more.

Ell, the Director of Agriculture spoke up. "Sir, we've been able to maintain a vast array of vegetation, however maintaining livestock is proving to be a drain on resources, we will have to remove livestock dependent on agriculture. We won't have the yield for continued support."

"How much time do we have" Perian responded calmly.

"With the current level of charge crystals in the agriculture sector, I'd say about 10 years based off our current enrollment and those we've granted asylum."

Perian paused for a moment in deep thought. The Dynamics of Hyylion's selection process was much different then that of Earths institutions. Politics played no part in the selection process. All who were selected to take part in the academy's infrastructure had not only graduated the school with honors. They were masters of their craft and subjected to testing of their critical thinking skills and analytic breakdown skills. All the way down to their ethical and decision making abilities through simulations. Perian was the only academic graduate who attained perfect scores on all subjects. He was a genius among geniuses and he was said to be the smartest man on Az' Chaira.

Perian scanned the monitors filtering the data in his mind. Weapons capabilities, charge crystal power statistics, sun energy loss statistics, days until total darkness, among other statistics and charts. He closed his eyes and went into a state of meditation. The council knew he was deep in thought he was like a chess master plotting his next move.

After 20 minutes had passed he opened his eyes. He uttered "This world is doomed." Despair spread throughout the room like a thick fog as he confirmed what they were already thinking.

"As we are now we have no future on this planet, but we can delay the inevitable. Bril, if we were to send expeditions towards Curon-7 our nearest star how long would they take to reach their destination and return."

Bril was the Director of Science. He had a rigid face that was handsome and well featured his left arm was completely augmented and his metallic arm gleamed under the low lit chandelier. He looked up his eyes were a steely grey.

"Grand Provost, if we were to launch expeditions within close enough range to charge additional crystals it would take four years to complete a full round trip."

"Very well Bril, prepare our men for the expedition. We must launch at once." 

The propulsion technology used on Az'Chaira was much different than that on Earth. They used giant electromagnets to creating a repelling force to launch the spacecraft at speeds incomprehensible to those had not seen them in action. The g-force exerted in the launch was so intense that the shuttles could only be manned by machines.

"Members keep our development under wraps we would like to avoid widespread panic in Hyylion. We're going to see much death in the world over the next year. Bril, Thezad develop an illumination device that is strong enough to generate artificial natural sunlight for the entire city. One with enough power to power charge crystals."

This was only a means to slow the inevitable.
Recharging crystals wouldn't be able to perpetually generate more power but it could slow the decline.

"At once, Grand Provost" Thezad responded his voice like a raspy whisper that somehow still resounded through the courtyard.

"Prim ensure we increase productivity in charge crystal mining we have to take advantage of the time we have left to stock like crystals at full capacity."

Prim was the director of logistics and marketing he controlled all gathering of raw materials required for the other council members and handled marketing and business relations.

"You can count on me" Prim responded charismatically.

"Let's conclude this meeting for today, we still have much to accomplish."