Connections

News had spread through the academy that widespread famine had swept through the land. Iona the director of Arts peered our her window at the landscape. She dreaded the fact that after a few years she would no longer be able to see the glorious sunrise. The one she was watching now was already a farcry from what she remembered as a child. She was the youngest of the graduates and the younger sister to Keonu the archivist (another of the council of 9 members).

Their personalities were polar opposites but they were still very loving to one another. Keonu was a strict older brother who consistently scolded and hounded her to complete her studies. He spent hours on top of his own studies to ensure she excelled. Iona on the other hand was a free spirit who loved to draw when she was young and dreaded spending time learning anything else.

As she stared out the window she decided she needed to do something.

"I need to paint one last picture of Alkalyn Valley before the sun is completely extinguished...Maybe I can even find some survivors and help them."

She went to her brother Keonu to ask him if she can accompany him.

"Big Brother, please come with me to Alkalyn Valley. Please, please pretty, please." She begged with her hands clasped in front of her.

Keonu looked at her his face still unflinching. "Haven't you heard the news, turmoil has overtaken what was left of that city...Do you know what happens when people are on the edge of despair. That is going to be a very dangerous region for a while."

Iona retorted "Aren't you an archivist, shouldn't the fall of our civilization be documented as well!"

Keonu gave a rare smile as he patted Iona's head "little sister you really do know how to get what you want, don't you."

"This May be a last chance for both us as the sun continues to dwindles it will only get more dangerous. I will accompany you, prepare for the expedition. I will make arrangements with Halcie to ensure we have an escort assigned from the defense ministry."

"Thank you big brother" Iona celebrated cheerfully.

Keonu went on to make arrangements with Halcie as Iona continued to pack for the expedition. Hyylion Academy was located in the outskirts of Alkalyn Valley which was once the central hub for business and was the most populated city on the planet thanks to all cutting edge advancements being funneled in from Hyylion. The war did little to spare the modern city and it was reduced to ruins.

Keonu was waiting at the Gates with Halcie at sunrise. He glanced at his watch.

"Where is that girl" he scorned with his face crumpled.

"You know your sister" Halcie replied her face amused at the sight of Keonu scowling face.

Halcie was the defense secretary for Hyylion and was the general of the forces sent to end the war. The was a brilliant tactician and a fierce fighter. She was tall and slender with an athletic physique.

Iona came running up with her untended curls blown back by the wind. "Sorry I'm late everyone. " She proclaimed her hair a mess.

"You just woke up, didn't you." Keonu responded with a hint of annoyance in his voice .

Iona bowed her head shamefully. "I couldn't sleep last night...I was so excited!...Halcie you're coming along, I didn't think you would personally accompany us."

"You are members of the council you know it's only fitting. Besides, I'd like to see the city one last time myself. We'll be bringing along a a prototype gearheart as well. He help us gather information and detect any potential looters or raiders. Manic also has 100% memory playback so anything he can record all data and even project for us to see."

Secretly Halcie thought Keonu was quite attractive and would try to accompany him any time she had the chance. She also wanted to test the capabilities of the last prototype she was able to develop before the war ended.

"Meet Manic" Halcie proclaimed at the same time a silhouette fell from the sky and landed a few feet away with a loud crash. He was a small framed gearheart with smooth cinnamon colored skin. He looked at Halcie then moved to face her.

"Gear 805 reporting as ordered." Manic said in a militaristic fashion.

"Isn't he wonderful" Halcie proclaimed proudly

Iona walked up and pinched his cheeks "he looks so life-like, I would have never guessed he was a robot."

"He's not, although he's not quite human either...but he's still my little boy." She calmly stated as she cupped his face.

"We should go soon before the lovers rise. One last thing before we depart everyone come closer." Keonu chimed in.

They all gathered around Keonu as he motioned them closer with a clasp of his hands. He then pushed a button on his arm. A distorted aura appeared around them. It appeared as though time around them stood still. The wind completely stopped and it was if sound outside the aura was snuffed out. A spectrum of colors intensified and then vanished completely.

"What was that!" Iona inquired.

"A safety measure...a gift from Thezad" Keonu responded.

Halcie glanced at Keonu out the corner of her eye. A hint of admiration shone on her face. It was his mysterious nature that also enticed him. He had outstanding character but he was also low key.

"Let's head out" Keonu stared at he head towards the transportation pod.