Chapter 2

I lean against Jasper as we watch the stars on his back porch. We sit in a comfortable silence. Every silence with Jasper is comfortable. I just love being in his arms. He may be cold but I never seem to want to pull away. The differences between our body temps is like a perfect example of the age old Yin and Yang. I jump when Jasper's phone rings. He sighs.

"Never a dull moment." He whispers, grabbing his phone. "Hello? What?! I'll be there."

He quickly hangs up.

"What's wrong?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Someone's been in your home." He stands before helping me up.

"My house?" My heart starts pounding.

"Yeah. I gotta go track the scent down." He kisses my cheek.

"Be safe." I say, quickly.

"Always, darlin'." He smiles before running away.

I walk inside and Rosalie runs over to me.

"Did Jasper tell you?" She asks, gently taking my hand.

"Yeah. It had to have happened while I was here. I could have noticed since I'm used to you guys being so quiet." I say.

"Come on." She gently pulls me to the couch.

I sit down next to Emmett who wraps an arm around me.

"Don't worry, Sunshine. I'll protect you." He smiles.

"I know you will, Em." I giggle slightly.

I look up at Edward as he and Bella enter the house. She sits down in a chair next to the couch as Edward starts pacing around. Alice pulls Bella into her arms and holds her. Kevin is hunting by himself since Bella was around. He didn't want to cause anything to happen like before. Rosalie, Carlisle and Esme are talking with Edward.

"Who was it? Someone we know?" Alice asks.

"Just a stranger. I didn't recognize his scent." Edward shakes his head.

"A nomad passing through?" Esme asks, looking toward Rosalie.

"A passer-by wouldn't have left Ally's father alive."

"...could...could it have been another vampire? From the Volturi? Coming to keep an eye on Bella and me? See if y'all have followed through and turned us?" I ask, speaking up a little louder than the soft tone I want to use. "They would've left Dad alive, right? Since they'd know who he is, and that he doesn't really know about vampires?"

I glance around, leaning into Emmett's embrace, wishing it was Jasper's arms 'round me. But, Emmett works for now, since he's one of my best friends. No one says a word in response to my question, but they all share a look. The door bursts open and Jasper walks in.

"His scent disappeared about five miles south of Ally's house." He says, walking over to me.

"Someone's orchestrating this." Edward shakes his head.

"Victoria?" Carlisle looks toward Alice.

"I would've seen her deciding." Alice says, stands up.

"It has to be the Volturi like Ally said." Emmett speaks up again.

"I don't think it's the Volturi either. I've been watching Aro's decisions, too." Alice crosses her arms.

"So we keep looking." Emmett stands up.

Jasper puts his hand out for me to take. I take it and he gently pulls me into his arms. I lay my head against his chest and sigh. His arms wrap 'round me, holding me close to him, making me feel safe, loved, and calm.