Chapter 5

Bella and I don't speak during the whole ride home which is the norm anymore. Edward decided it would be better if we drove one vehicle so we would never be alone. I don't see his insight on that. Victoria wants to kill both me and Bella...Us being together would be the perfect way to do that. I look up at the front door when Bella pulls in front of the house.

Alice is walking out while talking to dad. I watch them laugh for a moment before I raise an eyebrow and get out of the car. I walk down the walkway when dad smiles at Alice.

"Okay, Alice. Don't be a stranger." He waves.

"Okay!" She smiles and walks toward us.

"What the..." I giggle slightly.

She giggles. "Your alibis for the battle are all arranged."

"Really?" I smile.

"I told your father that our whole family's going camping this weekend. So you guys and I are having a sleepover at my house. Charlie is going fishing anyway." She smiles widely, proud of herself.

"Charlie? You guys are on a first name basis now?" Bella asks.

"Me, he likes. Jasper, he likes. Edward...Well, actually you and Edward will have the house to yourself tonight while Paul takes Ally to the reservation to pack." Alice nods.

"Like alone?" Bella smiles.

"We're all going hunting, powering up for the battle. You're welcome!" She quickly hugs Bella and runs to her car.

I shake my head and walk inside the house. Dad is in the kitchen making himself lunch when I sit down in my car.

"Hey. Do you guys want a sandwich?" He smiles at us.

"No, I'm good." Bella shakes her head.

"I already ate. Thank you." I smile.

"Well, besides Jasper, I like the sister." Dad finishes making the sandwich.

"Alice. Yeah, she's great." Bella nods.

"You should meet Rose! She's nice too." I say, leaning back.

Before dad can speak, Bella butts in.

"Hey, dad. I was wondering...Why didn't you get remarried after mom?" She raises an eyebrow.

Dad glances at me before answering.

"I don't know. Guess I still haven't met the right gal, why?"

"I don't know." She shrugs. "I thought you just...Maybe you gave up on the whole institution of it. Of marriage. But do you think there's any value in it?"

"Yeah, marriage has value. For you, when you're much older. Like your mother. It seemed to work out fine for her the second time around." He looks at her. "Later in life."

"Yeah, I guess." She sighs.

"Like if Ally got married, I would know it was for love but you definitely don't wanna have to get married because you weren't..." He thinks of the right word. "...careful."

"Dad..." I speak up.

"Look, you know what I'm talking about. There's...things that you need to think about...if you're gonna be...physically intimate." He blushes slightly.

I bite my lip to stop myself from laughing. He's trying to have the 'talk' with Bella. He had that talk with me after Jasper and I had our one year anniversary. He knows Jasper and I plan on waiting a while before we did that. Three years later, it still hasn't happened. I'm okay with it. I'm not ready, fully but with Jasper growing his hair out like he has been...I might be soon.