Chapter 4

I sit on a rock near Rosalie while watching Emmett and Jasper train. Jasper throws his hands up against Emmett's chest, sending him backward. He lands hard on his back but it doesn't phase him one bit. He stands up quickly and looks at Jasper.

"Again." He walks back over to the middle of the field we are in.

This field's in the middle of nowhere where even hikers and stragglers stay away from. Since it's dawn, the mist is heavy and there happens to be a grey overcast. Carlisle and Esme shake their heads watching their sons spar. Alice and Kevin are standing near a tree in the back, watching with concentration. I smirk up at Rosalie who is giggling slightly.

"He just never gives up, does he?" I ask.

"Never." She smiles down at me.

Before I can speak, I look toward the tree line where Edward's Volvo appears through the mist, parking next to Emmett's Jeep we all came in. Edward and Bella climb out and walk over in our direction. They stop near Alice and Kevin before Edward's head snaps up.

"They're here." He calls out.

To my left, eight giant wolves walk out of the slight darkness. I can pick out each one and smile.

"They don't trust us enough to be in their human forms." Edward translates.

"They came. That's what matters." Carlisle smiles slightly before walking to the middle near Jasper.

Paul rolls his eyes and walks toward a bush. I see Sam snap his head toward him and growl slightly. Paul walks out from the bush, shorts on, and over to me. I smile widely and scoot over on the rock. He sits down and crosses his arms before smirking at me.

"I trust them enough." Paul says, looking at Emmett.

Emmett nods toward Paul who nods back, a silent understanding passing between them.

"Oh." Paul pulls out a pair of shorts and hands them to me. "Can you hold these for me? I might need them."

I nod and lay them in my lap. Sam rolls his eyes and looks at Carlisle.

"Edward, will you translate?" He asks, causing Edward to nod.

Carlisle turns back toward the back before speaking.

"Jasper has experience with newborns. He'll teach us how to defeat them."

Edward looks at him. "They want to know how the newborns differ from us."

"They're a great deal stronger than us, because their own human blood lingers in their tissues. Our kind is never more physically powerful than in our first several months of this life." Carlisle explains to them.

Sam nods to him. Carlisle turns to Jasper who walks over to the middle. He stands straighter.

"Carlisle's right. That's why they were created. A newborn army doesn't need thousands like a human army. And no human army could stand against them." He starts walking back and forth, slowly, holding up two fingers. "The two most important things to remember are, first: Never let them get their arms around you. They'll crush you instantly. The second: Never go for the obvious kill. They'll be expecting that. And you will lose." He looks toward Emmett. "Emmett? Don't hold back."

Emmett smirks and steps toward him.

"Not in my nature."

They stand about 50 feet away from each other. Emmett smirks before charging at him with his impossible speed. Jasper quickly moves making him a virtual blue. Emmett lunges several times trying to grab onto Jasper but all he ends up grabbing is air. Jasper only stops moving long enough to speak.