parents

"Hey, buck?" you ask as you and Bucky both sit on the couch in the lounge, watching Steve from afar as he speaks to Tony.

"Yeah?" he asks.

"What happened to Steve's parents? Was he close with them?" you ask. Bucky lets out a deep breath, sitting up a little further.

"Why don't you ask him yourself?" he asks.

"I don't know, i just don't want to shake him up if it's a sensitive topic, y'know?" you say. Bucky nods, looking into your eyes as he's obviously thinking about telling you.

"He was closer with his mom than his dad, he was just an abusive ass. His father fought in the first war, and his mom was a nurse in the TB ward. He died on the field, and his mom got hit and died as well," Bucky explains.

"How old was he?" you ask, feeling bad about the shit he must've been through.

"Eighteen. He was alright, though. He had me, he got over it. It's been like, eighty years, after all," Bucky laughs, a small chuckle escaping your throat as well.

-

"Bucky let it slip about what you asked him earlier," Steve smirks as he works on the project in front of him, both of you working in the lab together.

"Shit, i'm sorry, Steve. I was just curious and i didn't want to ask you in case-"

"I'm case it still bothers me? It's been eighty years, (y/n)," Steve smiles, looking up at you.

"That's what Bucky said," you chuckle.

"Well, what about yours?" he asks, looking back down at his hands.

"My parents?" you ask, Steve nodding.

"They're dead, but I didn't know them. My dad was shot in the head once they found out he was having sex with one of the students, my mom. And my mom died while pushing me out right at the academy, although i'm convinced they killed her for breaking the strict rules. It was my fate to become an assassin. I was training right out of the womb," you joke, Steve's eyes looking up once again to meet yours.

"That story is much more interesting than mine," Steve smiles.

"Yeah, i'm sure they were assholes, anyway. My dad was one of those dickhead guards who used to beat you for looking at them the wrong way. And my mom, she was a slut. At least that's what everyone told me as I grew up," you smirk. "I'm sorry about your dad being an ass, too. Bucky told me he used to lay his hands on you."

"I guess we can just agree parents are overrated, hm?" Steve smiles.

"I most certainly agree."