back for you

You were about to step into your office when you saw the figure on the other side of the blurred window. Freezing in your spot, your hand still shaking on the door knob, you reach into the belt around your skirt for your gun, holding it carefully in front of you before finally pushing open the door as quietly as you could. But, the man still quickly turns around, you holding your gun up before slightly lowering it when you see the familiar face. Your hallucinations of Steve have been terrible since he died, and you've been seeing him literally everywhere. But in your office has to be a first. You sigh, putting your gun back into your belt, digging your palms into your eyes.

"You're not real. You're not fucking real! Leave me alone, please," you beg, tears welling up in your still closed eyes. It makes trying to accept his death even harder when you can't stop seeing his face everywhere you go. You don't know how much longer you can keep living like this.

"(y/n)," you hear his voice say quietly in your ear, his large hand resting on your shoulder. That's when you jump, your eyes snapping open as you see him defensively taking a step back. You've never once felt a touch that felt that real. Your brain was really fucking with you now.

Steve so badly wanted the next words out of his mouth to be something along the lines of how he was time travelling, that he's not really dead and he can stay and be with you forever. He had to witness you die in the future, so he can almost imagine exactly what you're going through, the only difference being that he was gone so abruptly and his body was never recovered. But he knew he couldn't blow his cover, not even to the love of his life that he trusts and loves so much.

"I'll always love you, don't forget that. I'll see you again," he says, swallowing thickly as tries to push the tears back. God, it killed him to not just jump out and say it's really him in this exact moment. He just wanted to stop your pain, maybe end his too.

"I know you're just in my imagination but if you're really looking down at me Steve, I love you," you say, looking up towards the roof as you finally let a tear fall.

"Look at me and say it," he says, needing it one last time before he's gone forever. You turn your head back towards him, your breath hitching in your throat as his thumb wipes your tear.

"I love you, Steve," you say, slowly leaning forward to place a kiss in his lips. It lasts for a few seconds, and you know you probably looked so stupid kissing air, but you were going to prolong the feeling as long as you could. But, his lips soon vanish, and you look around to see him nowhere in sight.

-

You yawn as you make your way downstairs of the steps in your home and towards the front door, wrapping the blanket tightly around your body. You weren't sure if you even wanted to answer the front door, already assuming it is probably the paper boy, or maybe you got some mail delivered. But something inside told you to get off your ass. It was a few days ago you had the most realistic hallucination ever, and you haven't slept since. The ghostly feeling of his touch was running through your brain constantly and every time you close your eyes the exact moment of kissing him replays and you can feel him again, having to quickly re-open your eyes. It was almost an eerie feeling, how real it felt.

Meanwhile, Steve stands on the other side of the front door, awaiting you to answer the door to your shared house, but he still knocked to not scare you. He's sure randomly appearing again and saying he's from the future would already freak you out enough. But, he was still unprepared when you opened the door, your shocked eyes meeting his. He awkwardly holds out the rose in his hand, thinking maybe that could help make up for the three years of lost time. You were thinking it couldn't be happening again, your brain even going as far to imagine knocks on the door. You slowly back up, about to slam the door shut when he catches your hand, a sob leaving your throat.

"Baby, calm down. You're not imagining this, it's real. I promise you," he says, putting the flower on your end table next to the door before wiping your tears away once again as you stare up at him.

"But—how? You're dead," you say.

"I'll explain everything to you. Just, try not to freak out. Look, touch the flower. If this is real, then so am I," he says, grabbing it again and holding it out to you. You slowly grasp it from his hands, shaking as you bring it up to your nose, smelling it.

"How?" you ask, another tear falling from your eye.

"I'm from the future, 2023. I never died, my body stayed frozen for seventy years before I was discovered and brought back to New York in 2012. I became apart of a group called the Avengers which was six of us with special abilities in one group to help protect New York, hell, even the world. And, a part of saving the world in 2023, meant we had to create time travel. And—here I am," he explains briefly and quickly. He'd fill you in on everything later, he just needed to make sure you understand he wasn't just hiding out on you for three years and randomly decided to come back.

"So—the other day, was real?" you ask.

"Yes. And I was so tempted to stay but I had to complete my mission and I came back to return the things we took and I decided to stay here with you, forever," he finishes. His heart races when you stay silent for a second and he begins to worry, thinking maybe you already married someone else, or you couldn't imagine loving him anymore. That maybe he did all this for nothing.

"It wouldn't be you if you didn't complete a mission, huh?" you chuckle, Steve slowly smiling as he immediately becomes relieved.

"It's been so hard without you," you mumble, Steve pulling you in for a hug.

"I know, baby. But I came back for you and I'm never leaving. Ever."