intruder

You walk down the hall inside of SHIELD, fully suited up and ready for the meeting you're supposed to have with Nick and the rest of you before you head for your mission. You turn around the corner, but freeze in your tracks when you see a man fully dressed in black with a mask covering their face standing in front of you. Nothing but their eyes staring back at you.

"You're in a building filled with fully armed guards, geniuses, trained assassins and people with inhuman capabilities. Don't do something you'll regret," you say, holding your hands up.

"Put your weapons on the ground," he says. You nod, taking your gun and knife and laying them in front of you, knowing he won't know about the smaller gun in your boot, or the gadgets hidden in your belt.

"You're coming back with me," he says, quickly hitting you in the head with the back of his gun, turning you around and holding you in his arms. But, you take the chance to drop to the ground, freeing yourself from his grasp and grabbing your gun, immediately shooting him in the head as his body falls to the ground.

The door of the meeting room swings open down the hall and Steve walks out first, everyone following behind him.

"Whoa," Steve mumbles, slowly walking over while watching the lifeless man on the ground.

"What the hell happened to security, Tony?" you ask, running a hand through your hair as you take a couple steps away from the guy who you've just killed.

"I don't know, I'll get on it," he says, opening his cellphone and walking the opposite way down the hall.

"After Tony gets that figured out, we can leave this to someone else and get going. We're skipping the meeting, get ready," Nat says, her and Clint walking off and leaving you and Steve to stand there alone.

-

You slip the t-shirt over your head before cracking your sore knuckles, trudging over to the bed and sitting down on the edge. You sit alone in your own thoughts and don't even notice Steve enter the room, causing you to jump in surprise when he gently touches your shoulder.

"Hey, what's wrong," he asks, noticing how you're on edge. "You always hear me coming."

"Sorry," you mumble, leaving it at that and pushing yourself to sit further on the bed. Steve sighs, walking around and sitting next to you, snaking his arm around your waist to pull you closer to him.

"Is it that guy?" he asks.

"You know me so well," you joke, sighing softly.

"You had to do what you had to do. He was obviously threatening you, so to save yourself and the possibly the rest of us, you killed him," he says as if it was the most simple thing ever.

"I don't understand that coming from your mouth. I think you're the only one in the group who always tries to rule out killing," you say.

"I know, but if it comes to the safety of the ones I love, I'll do anything," he says, you nodding before there's a short moment of silence. "Why's this affecting you so much, anyways? You've killed plenty of times before."

"Sure, but I've never killed anybody in the place I live. My home, if you will. How am I supposed to ever walk down that hallway again without thinking of when I shot him in the head, or imagines the crew cleaning up his body and the puddle of blood under it?" you ask.

"You'll probably think about that for a while. But, eventually, you'll come to terms with it and you'll accept what you did. You'll realize what I told you was true and you had to do it, even if it had to be in this tower. I can promise you that," he says. You smile, looking up into his blue eyes before leaning over to kiss his lips.