16

There was another knock after Ms. May had left around the time the sun went down. Peter stood in front of my door. His brown hair was wet. He didn't wear his usual smile as he looked at me. I knew immediately why he was here.

"Peter, hey," I said nonchalantly.

"Hey. Can we talk?" he asked.

I stepped to the side. "Sure. Come on in." He entered my apartment with a few strides until he was in the middle of the living room. "Do you want some iced tea?" I asked as I shut the door.

He looked around. His words dragged out as he spoke like he was thinking about them as he said them. "No, thanks." He stood between the sofa and the television. "Were you the one that told my aunt that I snuck out doing the trip to D.C?"

I froze for a moment. I took my notebook and textbooks off the sofa and place them on the desk. I didn't answer until I took a seat on my sofa, waiting for him to join me, but he stayed in front of the tv as he avoid my eyes. "Look, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have told her. I know. I messed up."

"So, it was you?"

"Yeah, it was me. I was worried about you, okay? Your aunt told me you snuck out all the time and I thought, oh geez, what if he's in some kind of danger? What if he's doing crack?" I said. I felt Like I was honest. Mostly, at least.

"Oh." Peter sighed. His broad shoulders fell as he looked at me. He didn't seem to believe me. He had a look of discomfort like there was something else he wanted to say.

I didn't know what he was thinking...or maybe I did. My head started to ring the same tune it usually did. It's all your fault, it sung. You're a bad person.

"I should go," he said, walking towards my front door.

"Wait, Peter." I followed him to the front door. He turned to look at me, but his hand was on the knob ready to go.

I thought about what he might be holding back. I was astounded to recognize that I was actually anticipating for him to say I was a bad person and that I sold him out to look better in front of Ms. May, but he didn't. For whatever reason, he wasn't going to ask me for my true intentions. In a way, I felt like I had dodged the painful question. It felt glorious, but at the same time, it felt wrong.

I looked at his brown eyes trying to decide what to do. Should I bring it up myself? It seemed like we both knew what it was, maybe. Should I have said it?

"Your aunt loves you." That's what I said instead. "You shouldn't make her worry so much. She deserves better."

His brown eyes moved to mine for a moment before looking away. He gave me a look I'd never seen before. One that wasn't mean, but instead something much worse.

All sense of care I have seen in those eyes had left. "Yeah, you're right," he said, but I knew as soon as I saw his eyes change that I had messed up completely.

Crap people lie, my mind sang. Why would you lie? You're a crap person.

"I'll see you tomorrow.," said Peter.

He left my apartment.

...

Dear Reader,

Something feels off...I don't know. Almost like this chapter didn't click or maybe I'm just tired. I don't know.

Question: do you prefer used books or new books?

My answer: I prefer used books. They're cheaper and they seem to have lived a little before they met me.

From one very tired burrito,

aloneeedra