32

Peter texted me, telling me he would be late the next morning, and that I should go on my own. I did. In the locker room, Cindy and I discussed ways that we could get Coach fired. We still didn't have anything. The day after that, Peter texted me the same thing. The morning after that he said he wasn't feeling well. The morning after that he said he had to do something, so we couldn't walk together. He told me it was going to rain so I should bring my umbrella.

That was the last text I got from him.

He stopped talking to me. There was no reason for it, none I could think of, he just stopped. Then he stopped making eye contact with me when we passed each other in the halls. I called him once. He didn't pick up so I didn't try again. I had become out of touch with so many people so many times before, at this point I was a pro at pretending I didn't know someone. Still, every time he walked past me, it hurt.

...

Dear Reader,

You ever put too much creamer in your tea? You know the sweetness that follows? That's what I want this story to be. I want it to be that flavor exactly. It took me a while to realize this, and I know that this chapter is the furthest thing from overly sweet tea, but I hope the remaining chapters take you to that flavor.

From the one and only,

aloneeedra