48

When I got into my apartment, my mom was in the kitchen cooking something. I placed the bag of crackers on the table, before sitting down at the table.

"Quite a trip for crackers," she said.

"Everywhere I went was too expensive," I lied, "I'm out of money."

"Ah." She reached her bag hanging from the chair, grabbing out her wallet. Her long brown ponytail covered most of her face when she bended down. I could only see her brown eyes pecking through strains and the small hint of her high cheekbones. My mom was far too pretty to be my mother. She even dressed better than me, wearing a maxi dress with a blazer. She pulled out a couple of big bills, before setting them on the table.

"Thanks," I mumbled, grabbing them.

She turned back to the kitchen. "Did you learn how to cook meat? Why did you buy so many pieces?"

"I thought I could learn, but I didn't."

"Oh. What have you been eating then?" she asked.

"Oh, you know. The same things I always eat. Pasta."

"Do you want me to make some enchiladas? I've been craving them for a while now."

"Okay." Should I bring it up? What part? There just seemed to be so many things we never talked about. Did she take the hush money? Did she feel guilty for taking the hush money? Did she miss Rosie, or did she pretend like Rosie never existed too? Did she miss dad? Did she ever love him? Why did they get a divorce? Was she depressed again? Was I the reason why? Does she even care about me?

"Hey, mom?"

"Yeah?"

"Why did you and Dad get a divorce?"

She stopped for a moment before going back to what she was doing as she casually said, "You know why."

"No, I don't. Not really."

"We just did."

"But why?"

"It's hard to explain."

"Try."

She sighed and then said, "Your principal told me you're the new goalie in your soccer team, is that true?" she asked.

I guess that proved that the principal did know that Coach was playing favorites. "Yeah, but about dad-"

She interrupted me. She looked over her shoulders. "You know, I was the goalie in my soccer team."

I sat up at that sentence. "Wait, what? You were?"

"Yup. I was pretty good too. No ball could ever get past me. So it's kind of cool that so are you."

I looked down. She was a goalie too? I never knew she even played soccer.

"When's the next soccer game?" she asked.

"In like a week."

"Maybe I should come. Of course, only if you want me to."

The image of Cindy's dad with that banner during the game show flashed in my mind. "You should."

"Okay, I'll come."

Would she really? I always wanted my parents to come to my games and cheer me on. I never thought it would happen. I looked down at the table. "Can you make a banner too?" I asked softly, afraid of saying it.

"If that's what you want."

"That's what I want."

"Okay." She turned to look at me. "Why don't you put on a record? It's way too quiet in here."

I nodded my head, walking over to the records. I was trying to keep my excitement hidden. I didn't want to seem too excited just in case she fell through. She always fell through. I knew I shouldn't keep my hopes up, but just like all the times before, they were up.

...

Dear reader,

You have caught up. All the chapters before you were already written and I was just posting them every day.

Do you remember way back in the beginning when I was all sad and said I was stuck in the same place and was just going to do online school? Well, a miracle happened. And by a miracle, I mean friend.

She raised the rest of the money I needed, so now I'm going to live on campus. I've been packing for the last few days and haven't had enough time to write.

The book is almost done. Only a couple of chapters to go. But, because I'm currently moving and starting school, I will take a very short hiatus. Just until I'm settled in and write the last remaining chapters.

Thanks for reading.

From,

aloneeedra