Lemon

Latin name:

Citrus x limon

Know it:

Lemons are a common sour yellow citrus fruit that are absolute superstars in domestic and kitchen witchery. Lemons absorb negative energies. Their energizing, uplifting & invigorating scent is often used to clean and freshen up living areas.

Lemon trees are native to Asia, but humanity spread the tree throughout the world. Lemons were being grown in Europe by the early Roman era, in the Middle East and Asia by the 7th century, and in the Americas by the 1500's.

They have associations with the element of water, as well as the moon & the sun. They are used in Litha or Midsummer celebrations and can be used in healing, love, or cleansing spells. 

Grow it:

Lemon trees are wonderfully scented and need full sun, warmth and no frost. They are the most cold sensitive citrus tree. There are many varieties of lemon tree, but they all prefer a Mediterranean climate and slightly acidic soil.

Some types can be grown indoors and can even be grown as bonsai trees. Indoor trees may require additional grow lights even when placed in a sunny window. In the absence of pollinators, flowers need to be hand pollinated in order to bear fruit.

Grown outdoors, a single tree will self pollinate. It can take a tree 3 to 5 years to start producing fruit. Trees also require some pruning.

Trees are most often propagated by cuttings rather than seed. Seeds do not reliably produce fruit bearing trees.

Use it:

Lemons are a domestic witch's best friend. They are great for cleaning spells and can be added to floor washes. Lemon juice is even a mild disinfectant. Ants avoid surfaces cleaned with lemon juice. And there's a plethora of recipes that call for a lemon's unique flavor. They can be pickled, used in baking, or to flavor meats.

Here's a recipe for one of my very favorites, lemonade. This drink refreshes and uplifts the spirit. It's perfect for a Midsummer celebration:

Make a simple syrup. With 10 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar, bring water to a boil in a saucepan and stir in sugar until it dissolves.

Let the mixture cool to room temperature, then chill.

While you wait, squeeze 2 cups of fresh lemon juice. You will need a couple dozen lemons. Strain out seeds & pulp.

When cold, add lemon juice to the water/sugar. Add ¼ teaspoon of salt.

Another spell to brew up in the kitchen is for a healing hot toddy with lemon & honey. Both lemon and honey, alongside the steam, can soothe sore throats and respiratory illnesses. Healing spells and lemons both vibe with a Cancer moon's energy.

Because of their strong associations with the moon, sliced lemons are great to charge in moonwater.

Lemons can be sliced and dried for altar decor or hang on string in windows to catch the light. Other citrus can be added for a more colorful mix that's perfect for use in solar rituals or to banish depression.

Dried lemon zest or peels can be used in jar or sachet spells for absorbing negative energy, cleansing, happiness, or healing. And the white, sometimes pink-tinged, flowers are good for use in love spells.

Lemon juice can be used as invisible ink, which can be fun to add to spellwork. Dip a toothpick or an old fashion nib pen to write with. Let it dry and then heat the paper to reveal the message. This can be done by holding the paper close to a warm light bulb.

Lemon juice has also been used to power batteries!

Check out themoonmanual.com for digital downloads of art, my book, and more!