05.

I GET A call from the manager of The Bean on Tuesday, telling me that she wants me to come in for an interview on Wednesday. So, Wednesday after school, I make my way to The Bean for my interview. After answering a few questions about my goals, personality traits and my knowledge of coffee and drinks, she hires me and tells me that my first shift will be Saturday morning, which also happens to be Evan's shift. Something I'm very happy about, cause we'll get to spend time together and maybe get to know each other a bit more. We've been texting everyday, and I love it.

Soon enough, Friday rolls around. I stare at my closet, not sure what to wear. It's currently 4:45 and Evan is supposed to be coming to pick me up at 5. This is my first official date because I don't count when Brent invited me to the party and because of that I'm unsure of what to wear. All I know is that we're going to the diner for dinner and then we're going to the lacrosse game which starts at 7 o'clock, which means I should dress casual because eating at a diner and watching your date play lacrosse isn't fancy, which I'm completely thankful for. I'm not the type of girl who likes fancy events and activities. It's too much pressure.

I notice that I'm running out of time, so I quickly pull on a pair of high waisted embroidered pants which makes the outfit cute and pair it with a cropped comfy long sleeve shirt. When I finish getting ready, I get a text from Evan.

Evan: Just pulled up outside. You ready? 

Henley: On my way!

"Mom! Dad! I'm going out with Evan!" I yell as I make my way to the front door. I had told them earlier about my plans for tonight. They both come into the hall. "Can we meet him?" my Dad asks. "Maybe another time." I shrug. I don't want them to scare him away with their overeager nature. But in a way I'm disappointed that Evan didn't come to the door. Maybe that only happens in movies, I think as I head out the door.

"I knew you weren't like other girls." Evan says when I get into the passenger side of his car. "And why's that?" I ask, curious about what new observation he's made. "Most girls wouldn't wear a sweater and jeans on a date. They would use any excuse they can to wear a dress or a skirt." He says, pulling away from my house. I could easily tell him that it's the fall so most girls probably wouldn't wear dresses since it's slightly too chilly for that but also, what kind of girl will get all dressed up to go to a diner and a lacrosse game. Instead, I take the comment as both a compliment and a sign that I'm not underdressed.

We get to the diner after a short drive and are seated rather quickly. For a Friday night, it's surprisingly not busy. We talk until the waitress comes to take our orders and then we talk a bit more in between bites of food. I was worried that I would be super nervous, but I'm not. I'm comfortable with him. Not as comfortable as I am with Luke and the boys, but still more comfortable than I expected I would be. I guess the pepper spray was unnecessary after all.

When the bill comes, I offer to pay and then even to pay my half, but Evan insists on paying for the whole thing. Once the bill has been taken care of, we drive over to my school where the game is taking place.

"I have to go meet up with my teammates and get changed for the game. But I'll catch you after?" he says, giving me a hug. I somewhat stiffen at the interaction. "Yeah." I nod and then we both head in our separate directions. He goes towards the school to prepare for the game, and I head to the field where I'm meeting up with Ian and Luke, so we can watch the game together from the bleachers.

When I get to the bleachers, I find that Ian and Luke are already there sitting in the middle row. "Look who decided to join us." Luke says when I sit next him. "You knew I'd be here." I say. "I know but where's your date?" he asks. "He's playing. Didn't I tell you that? He goes to Anderson prep and plays for their lacrosse team." I say, just in case I had forgotten to tell him. "No, I remember now. Maybe I just chose to block it out. You are dating the enemy, you know." He jokes. I laugh and roll my eyes.