Chapter 1: Ups & Downs

Roselin Farmlands, East Katesia. February 3rd XXXX

"...And we see the tree growing out leaves again in the morning of this bright sunny day! While smoke can be seen around the central areas, people can enjoy some peace on the bright and sunny fields in the rural areas, in which the snow is slowly melting into sweet, sweet water for the citizens to drink after simple and easy decontamination procedure!" -Nature for Future Program of East Katesia

It was a sunny day on the vast field, melting ice sludge dripping cool water on to the fresh, brown soil below. Here is where farmers of East Katesia grow their crops. Drones can be seen every few kilometres, flying around, planting the crops and initiating the insulators. 

The farmlands of this region are not well-developed than the other places, so rarely can people see vehicles passing by other than drones and first-generation charge vehicles.

Today, however, is different. Carl, a farmer of Roselin is re-configuring the drone settings of his farming machine when a motorbike swished pass the dirt road beside him. Some of the icy mud splashed on to his pants, which made him a little frustrated as he doesn't have a washing machine. 

He is about to yell at the careless biker who dirtied him with filth when an armored Humvee drove past him as well, splattering more mud on his tattered coat, he sighed in defeat as the perpetrators disappeared behind a hill and continue to fix his drone.

<> ~ <> ~ <>

"How was the view? I think you must be bored to see white all the time, huh?" Jade asked Rita. They have to stop to refuel their vehicles at a close-by recharging station, or else they risk running out of mineral charge, which is a common type of fuel used in a huge variety of types of equipment and tools worldwide.

"Not answering? You know you need to stop looking so depressed, or else people will think you have Glossophobia or, even worse, shell shock!" He joked. Lamely.

"I'm not like you, laughing randomly." Rita replied. Jade likes to joke around; even if they are in danger, or things are out of control, he would still attempt humour to lessen the tense atmosphere around them. In East Katesia, where war is almost happening every day, he is probably the only guy in the country that is not caring about a thing in the world.

Click! Ding!  The automated bell sounded to remind them that both of their vehicles are fully charged: a High-Mobility-Multipurpose-Wheeled-Vehicle, which Jade has driven during his service as a soldier at 8 years old and a modified motorcycle, driven by Rita when she is in the secret service of Cardiavska, a neighboring country above both East and West Katesia.

They packed up all their belongings and squashed them into containers, then slide them back into the storage compartment behind the Humvee. To preserve charge fuel, Rita didn't ride on her motorcycle; it was hanged and locked on the Humvee. Instead, she also boarded the four-wheeled drive with Jade.

The inside of the vehicle is slightly cramped, as it is filled with cushions, sleeping bags and a small bag of cheap tea packets, there is also a portable radio stuck on the left side of the rear door, where they can hear media and news every day.

The seats of the armored jeep are slightly old and need to be replaced and the interior walls has rusted over time. The ceiling hatch is rarely used and it too was a little rusted, so opening it would need a little more strength. On the outside though, is a completely different story: The Jeep has a painted camouflage, the doors are strengthened with extra padding, the window is even reinforced with explosive-proof materials (although they could only afford the front window of the vehicle since they couldn't afford more.)

The engine puffed and finally started, moving the jeep forward at a fast-pace. Mountains, trees and fields can be seen, stretching on for miles as this is a government property in which trees and minerals and forbidden to be cut down or mined unless the country is facing a resource shortage crisis. This is the only place that is not affected by war and famine in this vast and great country, the grounds covering the front-lines are now filled with nothing but dead grass, fog and remnants of machines that previously were buildings and vehicles.

"Whats that helmet still worn on your head?" Rita asked Jade with a confusing glance. 

"Because the others that is still on the battlefield are still wearing them, so as to protect my dignity, I wear them!" Jade replied proudly. 

"Yeah yeah, says a person who ran away from a battle because he injured his leg." Rita distastefully speak back. 

"Hey!" Annoyed, Jade looked back to reply a sour comment, unintentionally stepping down his foot on the brakes, the jeep screeched loudly and veered off the dirt road as he hurriedly grab hold of the steering wheel and turned it to the opposite direction.

The jeep stopped just a few meters away from falling into a stream filled with plastic and debris: they are closer to the border now. Smoke can be seen rising up faraway in the horizon, and missiles were launched up into the air frequently, exploding with a magnificent boom that can be heard far away, like fireworks. 

"Now we need to fix the tires again, stop trying to be a drunk driver, I thought your regiment commander have already taught you think before you drive?" Rita said sarcastically. 

"Sorry.." Jade lowered his head, obviously embarrassed by his mistake. 

"Alright, quit your apologizing and get to work, time to fix the Humvee, or we could teleport to the next town, who knows? They said that people can teleport now with those brand new technology that they kept showing off, wanna try?" Rita said sarcastically. 

"No thanks, I don't want to end up in little pieces of body parts all over the place." Jade sighed, looks like this is going to cost another day of their precious time.

The afternoon sky is then brightly lit up by missiles launching into the sky, before becoming beautiful fireworks raining down towards the enemy territories.

<> ~ <> ~ <>