Chapter 4: Atomic & Anomic

Capital City Remele, Italai. February 17th XXXX

"Just a few minutes ago we see those rockets flying up into the air, it was a shocking sight! Authorities of Italai, Enigmatica and the other 17 countries near them has been alerted that East-West Katesia has just fired atomica weapons at each other! The power of atomics are not clearly understood, as we always have preferred mineral energy, but recordings of atomica bomb tests showed us that it is not to be underestimated. The-"

[Broadcast redirected to Italai Defence Authority]

*Emergency Broadcast Online*

"Civilians, if you are hearing this, please seek shelter immediately. I repeat, please seek shelter immediately. There are eighteen-minute and forty-six seconds left to seek a safe shelter, this is not a drill." - Italai Defense Military

The ground silent, long evacuated. The air swirling, fog flowing with tension. In the murky sky, are glowing lights, shining in the grey and dark clouds. The lights are descending.

The nuclear missiles pierced through the clouds, sending swirling smoke outwards and fall from the sky. It is so distant that only the trails can be made out; a bright orange, unlike its mineral counterparts, which is a purple haze. It is truly beautiful if they aren't bombs.

Nothing happened.

FLASH!

The bright light blinded eyes for a moment, the intensity forcing people above ground and exposed to the flash to cover their eyes. Glasses shattered as the sound reached their ears with a final concrete sound. "All Hail Katesia!" Is probably the last thing they will ever hear.

WHAM-

The shock-wave reached the city. Everything turned to dust the moment later.

The intended purpose was to destroy West-Katesia, but some of East-Katesia's atomicas got shot down before detonating, giving West-Katesia a chance to retaliate with more atomicas before their unavoidable demise.

In 15 Minutes, 40 Warheads were fired.

In 19 Minutes, West-Katesia is obliterated.

In 22 Minutes, East-Katesia is gone.

In 50 Minutes, Global Powers who call themselves O.A.B.C will be dealing with one of the most dangerous events that will ever happen.

Extinction.

<> ~ <> ~ <>

Dust stirred as everyone crept out of their hiding places, luckily, the atomica bombs did not struck too near here, but the radioactive clouds gathering in the distance is going to be a major problem soon.

"Please stay and follow the instructions published by the Italai government on the Globe.Net, it is also sent to all Italai citizens via GlobeMail. This is a huge incident so we ask all citizens to co-operate and stay updated on the news, thank you for your listening."

The loud-speakers of all cities in Italai repeated the loop over and over again. Everyone tried to stay calm, but people are still anxious; after all, it is not every day that a country will suddenly blip out of existence, save for two.

In the foggy streets, a few collapsed building can be seen, some vehicles burning in purple flames upside-down on the pavement also caused a commotion, with people trying to pass around to the other side.

Jade received MEDI-Syringes and the wounds on his leg is now closed. The doctor said that it is to both heal the wounds and to kill bacteria that could cause infections. The doctor then rushed to the next patient.

Rita lifted Jade onto the back of her motorcycle, there was no other choice; the Humvee is sitting in the rubble of a collapsed building; she doubt she could dig it back out.

They drove down the road on Rita's bike slowly. Debris has covered the roads and railways, the damage is much bigger than she thought. It also doesn't look like atomica damage, instead more of a structural collapse.

"Let me go! I said that this place is dangerous! We can't stay here any longer!!" Someone screamed in the distance, she stopped near the junction to see what the argument was about.

"I think he lost his mind." A pedestrian said while grabbing the shoulders of an old man, who is waving a cane around.

"Why do you think that we are in danger?" Rita asked calmly. "Isn't the blast over?" She then pointed at the dispersed smoke in the distance.

"You don't know, young man- whatever. The point is, it is not the nuclear blast that damaged the city, it is the fore-shock of a seismic wave! I guess that the nuclear bomb detonated inside the creek, you know, the deep abyss between the border? It must've shaken the tectonic plates! An even larger earthquake is going to come! We are all doomed!" He wailed.

Rita didn't learn geography, so obviously she doesn't know what the old man was talking about, but behind her, Jade whispered to her the simplified meaning.

"Ground...shake.." He winced at the pain from the still-recovering arm.

Rita frowned, the ground shuddered a little and the man started wailing like an animal. She strapped Jade onto the motorbike, hopped on to the seat and started the engine. The bike veered through the debris and leaving the group of people gathered around at the commotion.

The ground behind them suddenly roared as a huge lump of the road was pushed upwards, causing a building to collapse by the sudden movement.

Sirens started a slow groan, a building shattered into thousands of fragments and people duck for cover from the debris. She swerved around an ambulance that was emitting smoke and started to calculate all potential evacuation point, then she estimated the nearest one: The port connecting into the inner-sea of Europia, the biggest continent in the world. She guessed that The Oceania Armistice & Biophilia Coalition is going to escort civilians from the port, with both helicopters and ships for mass evacuation very soon.

The ground trembled as Rita screeched past broken fire-trucks and flaming shops, she can hear Jade sobbing behind, probably his PTSD acting up again. A distant humming can be heard and it was getting louder, it must be the helicopters. The tire of the motorcycle started giving out and it took a lot of effort for Rita to stop beside the dock, she runs and pulled the motorcycle behind as Jade got off the motorcycle and pushed it from behind, limping forward with his good leg.

"Attention all residents, this is your Prime Minister speaking. The nearest Oceania Coalition base has called in evacuation units, the closest evacuation point would be the Italaia Ship dock, Remele border entry point and the Italai-Franceda Sky bridge.

Even if you couldn't reach these exit point in time, please don't hesitate to use any means necessary to let the Coalition aerial and ground unit to notice you. I wish everyone good luck and a sincere sorry for those who couldn't make it, as some must sacrifice their lives to protect the ones their love. I am truly sorry. This is your Prime Minister out."

In front of them are a few hundred people that already gathered, in the safety of the car park. She sighed, a two-story building few hundred meters beside her groaned in response, the walls slightly denting from an unknown pressure.

As the huge quadcopters descended and the ships sailing into the dock, she looked below the dock, water is rising quickly. It is no longer foggy; the nation's fate is now certainly doom as the lands get consumed by the polluted sea.

Italai is sinking.