Chapter 3: Border & Order

The Creek, East Katesia - Italai Border. February 16th XXXX

"It is the last day that lil'Kate will open the border towards everyone, this afternoon, the border will be sealed and will probably remain so for quite a long time. What do you think will happen? Do you think it would affect our part of the continent? What will happen to the global economy?

Well, I don't think much will happen, although this week is quite interesting after the sabotage of the Rosen Nuclear Power-plant. It has devastated their economy severely and I doubt they can recover the control of the economy. I guess it is time that they surrender! Still, I've got a bad feeling with this...." - Senior Daily Talk Show

Albert sat there all morning, bored. He looks out the window: The bridge is still there, the barricade is still there, the walls stood strong and the lighting still works. This is one of the most anti-climatic jobs he ever did. The only difference is that the Eastern Katesia Soldiers - whom the border patrols nicknamed them "The Yellow Kates" - were gone. He looked around the opposing border but couldn't find any patrols.

This was fairly normal circumstances, as East Katesia always uses up huge lots of manpower without checking their reserve. When the Army is sucked dry, they drag the border soldiers to the capitol to protect the Government officials and upper-class. If it wasn't for the loop-hole in the

Albert looked back at their own border wall and sighed. Because of the longtime conflict, The divided Katesias are now lacking behind the other countries, its technological advancement is now more than twenty years behind. It is currently the only country without full access to MEDI technology; a basic healing tool can cost thousands.

<> ~ <> ~ <>

Storm clouds gathered up in the distance, blame the man-made nuclear meltdown, he thought. Albert becomes more awake as sensors indicate that a large group of people is passing through the bridge, he turned on the camera of the sentry, which sits silently on the side of the bridge.

One, two three... 18 people. He counted. Some are wearing cloaks, others are wearing coats, most of their clothes are tattered on some part, there is even a rusted jeep driving alongside them. He would've thought they were all refugees until he saw a head popped out of the jeep hatch, then the windows of the jeep doors were lowered and he could see the driver inside with a helmet on his head. So that makes 19 People. He recounted after making sure there are no more people inside that battered vehicle.

The sensors on the bridge detected no harmful chemical nor weaponry or bombs on those people, albeit a kitchen knife, possibly for self-defence, however, the sensor's waves cannot penetrate the metal casing of the jeep.

"Order, order! Line up in the lanes! Don't step out please, thank you!" The Italai border guards shouted as the refugee crossed the line into the country of Italai, also known as "The Nation of the fog." The Humvee sputtered and stopped, as people lined up to prepare a temporal passport for those refugees. Albert didn't find the need to give these people a place, the Authorities said it could give them a bigger workforce, he only sees the production rate decline.

As he readied the booth to start the border inspection, the two figures in the Humvee exited and also hurried into the lane, the elevator lowering the vehicle to the basement for item detection.

These days, technology is far too advanced, dangerous items can be disguised as very innocent items and hidden in blind spots that even human eyes couldn't see the difference, so everything needs to be scanned. He pressed the button to allow the first refugee inside while eating his canned noodles.