h

"So your parents just up and left?" Darryl stared at the younger in disbelief.

"As soon as we found out." Zak frowned, nodding. He plopped himself down on the couch next to the older. "Didn't even say bye."

Darryl returned the frown. "That's fucking sick. How could they treat their own kid like that?" Zak's eyes widened.

"Two swears in one day, wow." He joked, trying to make light of the conversation. Darryl grinned, muttering an apology. "It doesn't bother me, it's just unusual to hear it come from you."

"My roommate said it was hot when I swore." Darryl's voice dropped, his eyes focusing on a random spot on the floor. "I don't know why I just said that. Sorry."

The pair sat in silence for a few awkward minutes before Zak muttered something barely audible.

"It is."

"What's what?"

"It is hot when you swear." Zak spoke up, turning to face him better on the turquoise couch. Darryl's cheeks seemed to heat up at this revelation, to which he tried to hide in the paws of his hoodie. "You should swear more often."

"Feeling bold today are we?" The older commented, lowering one of his hands to lightly slap Zak's knee. He didn't bother moving his hand after. Zak raised his brows at this, placing his hand over his friend's, intertwining their fingers.

"You're one to talk." Darryl shifted his position, now sitting with his legs crossed, facing the younger. The two made sharp eye contact.

"Zak, can we talk about something?" The sudden shift in the convorsation confused him, wondering if he said or did something wrong. Despite this, he nodded, signaling the other to continue. "Do you..."

He didn't know how to word what he wanted to say without it sounding odd. He'd been wondering how Zak felt for so long, and what better time to ask then now?

"Have you ev-" His question was cut off by the television in front of them. Instead of the peaceful children's movie they had on in the background, a government issued alert, similar to the one he had seen hours before on his own television was broadcasted. The two worriedly exchanged looks before Zak turned the volume up to listen in.

Pardon the interruption. The President of the United States will be speaking shortly.

A few moments of silence. He heard Zak gulp, a look of fear washing over his face. Darryl squeezed the younger's hand, rubbing comforting circles over his thumb. Zak looked back at him and flashed a small, scared smile before returning his gaze to the TV.

I sincerely regret to inform you, the people, of this news. We have been closely researching and working with scientists to take the precautionary steps needed to keep law and order during this unprecedented time.

There has been a miscalculation in our data.

The two exhanged glances, a look of confused hope on each of their faces. Zak sat up and leaned forward, reaching for Darryl's other hand. Darryl was his rock, he felt safe with him. As if this whole 'end of the world' thing was something of the past.

The President sighed.

"This can't be good," Zak whispered grimly.

The projected time to impact of the asteroid was one week.

Darryl squeezes his eyes shut.

We- We regret to inform you that the new, the new projected time of impact is within the next, the next-

The President seemed more and more unstable as he continued to speak.

"Darryl," Zak whimpered, tears in his eyes. Darryl continued to focus on the broadcast.

A shaky breath in, and a sigh of exhaustion out.

We regret to inform you the new projected time of impact is within the next hour.