Chapter 1 - A New Start

- 4 months after Choices is set -

[Ilsa is 5 months into her pregnancy]

The sun was beginning to set in Blackpool, and someone's old home had just been made another's new. Birds sang in chorus outside as they headed to roost and neighbours came home from their day jobs.

As Ilsa slowly stood from the sofa (one of the only things from her flat filling the sparse new living room), Ethan was busy preparing vegetables for tonight's dinner.

Ilsa was looking forward to their fresh pasta; for once she felt she'd enjoy eating something savoury late in the day. Her pregnancy was sending her taste buds haywire.

She sighed as her legs grew tired of standing already. She had a very hard, very full-on job - fighting every day, breaking necks with her thighs, using guns - that all was, of course, tiresome, but being pregnant was a different sort. Her muscles ached in a different way, and she felt sick nearly every morning. Sleeping was uncomfortable, although Ethan was there to soothe her.

Although, Ilsa felt very lucky to be carrying a child. Also for her to be starting this new life with Ethan. She spent a lot of time concentrating on the little one inside her; trying to feel it move maybe. But not much ever happened. Ilsa was not really expecting much movement but it was really sweet to feel. She remembered the first time the baby did move; she was in the bath. Ethan came in when he heard her giggling to herself. Another time the baby got hiccups. A strange feeling, Ethan was there to record Ilsa's stomach jumping with each hiccup. Of course he couldn't stop laughing.

Ilsa was nervous about being a mother, but she was sure Ethan felt a bit scared to. It was new to them both, and so they would both go through it all together.

Ethan heard Ilsa shuffling to the kitchen and smiled to himself. He loved her so much and was so proud. Being around her all the time, he spotted new things about her. The way she would smile as she read books, how she always turned off lights when she left a room. So many other new things that made him love her even more.

"Hey beautiful" he said as he turned away from the stove to face her.

Ilsa blushed, "And hello handsome" she beamed.

Ethan put the wooden spoon he was holding down and he and Ilsa met in the middle of the room. He embraced her gently, and she breathed into him, closing her eyes for a moment. Ilsa loved how he felt, and Ethan adored holding her close.

"So how is our dinner?" Ilsa asked, smirking up at Ethan and then looking over at the saucepans on the hob.

"It's actually just fine, thank you miss!" Ethan grinned back, putting on a faux frown.

"Okay, okay... just checking!" Ilsa replied with a fake pout. Ethan huffed a laugh and returned to the stove.

Ilsa stood for a moment, watching as Ethan stirred the pasta. His hands were gentle and he seemed completely in a world of his own as he worked.

"Can I help?" Ilsa had walked up behind Ethan and popped her head over his shoulder. She took a minute to take in the scent of the foods below.

"There's plates that need to be dried? Or you could set the table?"

Ilsa disappeared to find a tea towel and dry off their plates. She then came back to get the cutlery and lay the table, but Ethan was one step ahead.

"You sit, I already put out the cutlery. Oh, and what do you want to drink?" he said.

Ilsa smiled to herself. When did he become so thoughtful? She really was learning so much more about him during their time together here, and she was loving everything new she found that made him even more lovely than before.