Chapter 3 - Little Do You Know

Ilsa slept relatively well last night. Both her and Ethan had fallen asleep on the sofa, Ilsa enveloped in his arms. She had woken in the night with a stiff back, so gently got up and slept in their bedroom. Ethan hadn't woken, and stayed on the sofa.

...

The sun shot a line through the living room curtains, straight across Ethan's face. He groaned and rolled over, feeling his back and neck ache with their stiffness.

Stretching, he got out of bed and listened for Ilsa. Then he made his way to their bedroom. Peering in through the door he saw Ilsa sleeping peacefully on her side.

Ethan quietly opened the door and slipped inside. He took a moment to take in how beautiful Ilsa looked. The sun painted in gold across her face, and shadows outlined her delicate features. She was sleeping on her side, one hand on her stomach and the other over the blanket. Her hair was tossed over the side of her face, her lips parted slightly.

Walking over to the bed, Ethan picked up the corner of the blanket, repositioning it so Ilsa was covered properly. He then got in bed with her and lay down.

Ethan lay looking at his love, hearing her quiet breaths and tracing her freckles with his eyes. He reached out a hand to gently move her hair out of her face, then trailed his hand down her side, to rest his palm on her hip. Ilsa shifted her leg higher, a little sigh escaping her lips. Ethan smiled.

They lay like that for another 20 minutes, Ethan closing his eyes every now and then, but opening them again to gaze over Ilsa's sleeping form. Eventually, Ethan shifted closer to Ilsa, reaching over to caress her back and leaving a kiss on her forehead. Ilsa leaned into his touch and groaned, stretching her neck and shoulders.

Ethan stroked over her back, gazing at her face in adoration. He always loved easy mornings where he could be by Ilsa's side, watching as she woke up slowly. She always looked so beautiful in the early sunlight, waking up from a peaceful night's sleep.

"Hmm... morning" Ilsa mumbled, stretching her limbs and running a soothing hand over her baby bump. She could feel Ethan smile as she shuffled closer into him.

"Good morning gorgeous." He chuckled as he held the back of her head gently, pressing kisses to her forehead and nose. Ilsa opened her eyes to look at him.

"Mm what time is it?"

"10 to 10... cowboy time!" Ethan smirked, looking at Ilsa's confused expression.

"What? Something about cows...?" She asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Cowboy time. 10 to 10 to 10 to 10 to 10 to 10... like a galloping horse!" Ethan said with a goofy grin.

Ilsa just smiled, pulling him in for a kiss. Ethan deepened the kiss before pulling away.

"10 to 10 you say" Ilsa smiled up at him. "I slept very well it seems."

"Breakfast?" Ethan gently squeezed her hand before getting out of bed to go to the kitchen.

He heard Ilsa mumble a "yes" as he walked out the door and towards the stairs.

...

Ethan came back with a tray piled with different foods. There were croissants, a bowl of museli, lots of toast and two glasses of apple juice. He put it down on the cabinet next to their bed. Ilsa had got up to go to the toilet, so Ethan fluffed the pillows and settled on the bed, waiting for her to come out.

After a few more minutes, Ethan called for Ilsa.

"Ilsa? I brought the breakfast." He had no reply; only some shuffling noises. Getting up off the bed, Ethan walked hesitantly toward the bathroom door. More shuffling noises could be heard, and the toilet flushed.