Chapter 5 - Shopping Spree!

[1 month later]

"How many eggs?" Ethan asked as he took the milk out of the fridge.

"Two eggs, and is there a lemon in there?" Ilsa replied.

It was a rainy morning, clouded skies and a chilling wind made for a day spent inside. Ilsa and Ethan were making pancakes for breakfast. They had had a very good sleep and were ready for a nice day out - but it rained.

...

"Looks like we're staying home today, hey?" Ethan asked as he tucked into his pancakes.

"Apparently so! Maybe we could start sorting out the nursery?" Ilsa replied.

There were three rooms upstairs; two bedrooms and a bathroom. One of the bedrooms was for Ilsa and Ethan, and the other one was spare and to be used for the baby.

Ilsa and Ethan had chosen a theme for the nursery - calm natural colours and materials, with little colourful touches too. Think, Scandinavian woodland style, with little buntings and birch wood.

As today was a rainy one, they had both decided to stay inside and shop online for some more baby things. Ilsa had woken up with a painful back, a bit worse than usual, but she wasn't too worried. Now they had agreed to stay in she knew it would be fine.

...

Ethan was sat on the sofa holding their iPad, and Ilsa was over by the sink. They were planning on shopping for some paint samples to use in the nursery, and of course they needed a cot.

Those plans inarguably changed when Ethan heard a disgruntled groan from the kitchen, and walked in to see Ilsa holding her stomach. She was leaning over, with her right forearm against the countertop.

Ethan rushed over and placed his hands on her hips, then moved her hair out of her face.

"Hey, what happened?" He asked gently, but Ilsa could hear the concern and hurt in his voice.

"I'm fine, I don't know what it was but around my abdomen... like a stabbing pain." She looked back at him, and her eyes were tearing apart his soul. She looked worried and helpless, and all Ethan wanted to do was tell her it's ok.

He went to speak, when Ilsa suddenly moved her head back away and let out another moan as her free hand grasped onto Ethan's. He continued rubbing her back firmly until she turned around and practically fell into his arms.

"I've got you, you're ok Ilsa." Ethan spoke, and Ilsa sighed gently.

"This isn't anything to worry about, your muscles will be stretching, and the load they're carrying will keep growing and growing." Ethan tilted Ilsa's head back so she would look him in the eyes. She smiled, but then whimpered slightly as her eyes darted in another direction, her hand pressed onto her side.

"Let's go and sit down." Ethan stated as he carefully helped Ilsa to the couch. Ilsa sat down next to him and stretched her neck and shoulders before looking straight ahead.

"Ilsa, there's really no need to worry." Ethan moved over to be next to her and put his arm over her tense shoulders.

"I know but- what if something's wrong, Ethan?" Ilsa replied, not meeting his eyes.

"Well Ilsa, I can tell you for sure that this is a normal thing to experience, especially at this stage of pregnancy. You're going to feel some pain because it's something your body isn't used to. I know you are worried but trust me there-" Ethan was cut off by Ilsa turning to look at him and saying:

"How do you know all this?"

"Well... I- I may have done a bit of research... there are some books I read. Also I went on a course that time you we're out at-. What?" Ilsa was smirking at him.

"You researched?!" Ilsa asked trying both not to laugh or cry. She ended up mostly laughing but her eyes filled with tears.

"Only a bit." Ethan replied, and he turned to face her fully, before kissing her as she laughed into his mouth.

"So yes, completely normal experience of pain in your stage of pregnancy, nothing to worry about, Ms Faust." Ethan stated matter-of-factly, after they pulled back from eachother. Ilsa laughed and grinned back at Ethan, who was trying his best to keep a straight face.

"Let's have a look online." Ethan said and gave Ilsa's leg a gentle squeeze before turning on the iPad.

...

"I think two because then there's one for upstairs and one for downstairs...?" Ilsa said as she hovered her finger over the quantity button of a product.

"Yeah, I guess when you're carrying a baby you don't want to have to lug a bouncer upstairs just to put the baby down" Ethan agreed with a raise of the eyebrows.

The pair finished up with a cot, two bouncers, a selection of blankets, toys and baby grows, a little rug, and a chest of drawers. They also had a changing table and a play mat.

"I think that's a good haul for just sitting on the sofa." Ethan smiled at Ilsa as their payment verified.

"Definitely, how exciting!" Ilsa beamed back as she got up to go to the toilet.

Ethan smiled as he watched her shuffle away. He reached to check his phone, realising he hadn't really looked at it for a couple days.

There was an unread message from Benji, which Ethan read rather quickly.

'Why don't we meet up tomorrow? It would be good to catch up with you guys. Luther has the day off too, I'll invite him?' It read.

Ethan chuckled and replied with a suggestion of where to meet, just as Ilsa walked in.

"Fancy meeting with Benji tomorrow? And Luther?" Ethan looked up at her.

"I think I'll stay here." Ilsa said sarcastically and then grinned. "Definitely! Where are we going?"

"I said the café down the road from Benji, but I think he is going to check with Luther."

"Well I'm happy anywhere, as long as there's something interesting to drink. That isn't alcohol!" She laughed with a fake pout. Ethan laughed back, looking into Ilsa's sparkling eyes.