Bruised

"Oranelle, is that you?" one of the boys called out hoarsely.

"Yes, it's me."

Suddenly, a lantern appeared in the middle of the room.

Now that I could see each of them better, I wanted to cry. Bruises and cuts covered their bodies.

"How long have you all been like this?" I almost yelled. 

"For more than three hours, I believe,"  Marvin spoke.

"Have you had any food?"  

"No — Or any water, either," Jackie added.

I was furious. 

I walked out and nearly slammed the door. 

"..And what's your problem, puppet?" He asked.

"Those boys haven't been given food or water, and they are covered in bruises."

"Well, would you like to take care of them?" He frowned.

"Yes. If you aren't going to."

"Fine." He huffed. "I will see if I can find ointment and bandages. I will have them brought to you, along with some food and water."

"Thank you."

About 15 minutes later, I saw one of the puppets coming down the hall. They were carrying food, water, bandages, and ointment on a large silver platter.

"That looks heavy. Here, let me help you with it." I said as I reached out.

the puppet mumbled something softly before turning to walk away, but I didn't hear what it was.

 I knocked on the door to see Marvin open it slowly. He looked up and stared at me for a moment with his catlike blue eyes, then walked back into the dark room where the rest of the boys were.

"Here you are. Food, water, and plenty of bandages to go around."

They all smiled and thanked me before reaching for the bandages.

"Oranelle, it truly stuns me how you can be so strong...after all we've been through."

"I stay strong for all of you. If I didn't, then I don't know where we would be."

The boys smiled in unison.

"I think we should all get some rest." Henrik spoke.

"Yes doc, I think we should as well." I agreed.

"You're alright with sleeping on the floor?" Jackie asked.

"I'll be fine. What about you, boys?"

"We've been using each other for pillows the past few nights, so we'll be alright."

I laughed. "Okay. Wake me if you need anything."

I turned out the lantern, laid down next to Marvin, and went right to sleep.

I was more tired than I thought.