blood in the cut

The next few hours went by in a blur.

Tessa was taken into custody, Rossi was able to get Lolita to confess, and Lucille was found in a secret cellar then brought back to her father. It was relieving to see a happy ending after such a long, difficult case, one that included you getting your ass beat. Suddenly, all of your emotions cascaded upon you like a cursed ocean. You kept your composure, but once the doors of the elevator shut in front of the Whites, you allowed yourself to lower the mask of a put-together agent. You hurried back to your chair and dropped your head into your propped up hands.

"You okay, kid?" Derek interrupted your moment a few seconds later by putting a hand on your shoulder. Instead of turning around to face him, you simply shook your head against your palms to keep your watering eyes a secret. He grumbled something then you heard his footsteps retreating, only to be followed by another person walking up almost immediately after.

"Morgan told me you were upset," Reid's voice emerged tenderly behind you. "Do you want to talk about it?"

After a brief moment of thought, you pulled your head up and wiped your fingers under your eyes.

"It's just been a long day," You answered with a sniffle. The concern made itself visible in Spencer's eyes. You loved looking into his eyes, even when you were feeling low. They were warm and inviting, like an old friend asking you over for a cup of tea in the middle of the fall. That comfort was exactly what you needed.

"Do you want to go out tonight? I feel like we could use a break," You asked, barely audible. He nodded with a genuine smile.

"There's that new place I've been wanting to check out. I think it's called The Grove," He thought aloud as he handed you your purse and keys from your desktop.

"Yeah, that sounds good."

Spencer grinned while motioning for you to take the lead towards the door. Passing by the group, you felt a glare burning into your body. You quickly looked to your right and saw Hotch staring at the both of you with his arms crossed and hands tense. His chest rose when he noticed you saw him. To be polite, you gave him a small smile, but he didn't return it. Instead, he turned around to disappear into his office.

__

By the time eleven o'clock came around, you and Spencer were dancing to club music at The Grove. It was a new hole-in-the-wall bar on the strip of D.C.'s finest and, because it was opening weekend, it was packed to the brim with everyone from barely legal teens to elderly office workers.

After drinking a few beers and munching on some fries, you had pulled Reid into the crowd on the dance floor. Granted, he was nervous, but he seemed to loosen up once you pulled your hair down and started moving along to the beat.

"Did you know-"

"What?!" You interrupted, trying to be heard over the music. Spencer cleared his throat and tried again.

"Did you know that it's actually a myth that better dancers are better potential mates?! It was disproved by-"

"Spence!" You wrapped your hands around the back of his neck and stood on your toes to stop him. When you were inches away from his face, you whispered, "Not everything needs to have a fun fact," with an ear-to-ear grin. Without wasting another second, Reid placed his hands on your hips and pulled you close enough to where you could almost feel his heartbeat against your chest. He forcefully pressed his lips against yours and, for the second time in your life, he swept you away in the moment.

Your bodies moved with the blaring music, heat radiating between them and making both of you drip with sweat. His hands traveled all around your body then came to a stop when they were right below your hips. Yours rummaged around his messy hair, pulling occasionally whenever his grip on your skin tightened. It felt like you and him were the only ones on the dance floor until you heard someone whistle.