v. spider

c h a p t e r   f i v e 

s p i d e r 

Winter came quickly. Delicate white snowflakes now covered the Hogwart's grounds and every time you stepped outside or past an open window goosebumps would rise upon your neck and make you shiver. 

Janey hated it. After the day on the black lake, she was so convinced she was going crazy that she threw herself into her studies. She's skipped the past two Hogsmeade trips, and she couldn't even remember the last time she's seen Jack outside of the dining hall, she can hardly even recall the last time she talked to him. The only good thing to come from the entire situation was her grades, they've never been so good. But, she was pretty sure Frankie was upset with her too, they hadn't spoken since Monday. 

It was Friday now. 

Janey hadn't slept in about 27 hours and she skipped today's classes, claiming she was feeling unwell when she really spent the entire day sat in front of the full-length mirror next to her bed, staring at her reflection and begging Cedric to show his face once more. Janey wanted to prove to herself that it wasn't just her mind trying to trick her, that maybe, just maybe he was actually there. 

You'd be surprised to know that the only person Janey Nielsen has been talking to regularly has been Lizzie Leighton. Any spare time she had, and any moment her mind wasn't roaring at her telling her she was mad, you would find her at Lizzie's side. She could understand why Cedric liked her so much. Janey had never met anyone so nice, and patient too, most of the time when they were together they talked about their favorite memories of the Diggory boy, but it was still very hard for Janey to speak of him without breaking down, though while she cried and sniffled into the sleeves of her shirts Lizzie would sit there waiting and rubbing her shoulder in comfort until she was finally ready to speak. 

Lizzie apparently also had an impeccable memory, Janey lost count of how many of Cedric's jokes she had recited to her over the past few weeks, and even though they weren't coming from his mouth followed by his contagious laugh, they made her smile just as much. 

She wasn't smiling now though, she was wiping hot tears and snot from off her face scurrying up from off the ground as she heard approaching footsteps from outside in the hall. Her eyes shot up to the clock hung up on the wall and she found that it was already past nine pm, she sat in front of the mirror for seven hours.