fireworks and kisses

the week came and went, and suddenly, it was saturday

the week came and went, and suddenly, it was saturday. as in date night for addie and victor. saturday also happened to be the fourth of july, and although henry refused to tell addie what the date was going to be, she assumed it would be something festive. although, addie did know that the date was going to be later at night, which meant she would still be able to go to the parade with stan and his friends. 

"addie!" bev exclaimed as she approached the group of kids with stan by her side.

"hey bev," addie said with a smile as she hugged the red head. 

"it's been forever, i missed you."

addie nodded in agreement, "i know, you guys need to do more stuff that requires a chaperone so i can see you."

bev laughed and turned to greet stan, who was already talking to and hugging mike. 

"hola mamacita," richie said with a wink at addie.

"what's up rich," addie said with a playful roll of her eyes.

richie shrugged, "not much sweet cheeks, not much."

stan scoffed in disgust, making addie and richie both laugh. 

"i swear richie! if you don't stop doing that i'll hit you," stan complained. 

"and that, stanley, is exactly why i keep hitting on her."

stan rolled his eyes just as addie had before turning back to his conversation with mike. 

addie giggled, and after a bit more talking, the mood turned somber as bill pointed out the missing posters hung on the brick wall of the alley they were standing in. 

"think it got him too?" bill asked, referencing the boy on the poster, edward corcoran.

"without a doubt," addie mumbled grimly. 

bill gave her a look that showed he agreed.

"they say they found part of his hand all chewed up near the standpipe," stan said.

"he asked to borrow a pencil once," the new boy ben said, making bev look back at him. 

bill lifted up edward's poster to reveal another missing kid behind it. betty ripsom. she'd gone missing a few weeks before school got out. addie remembered her parents mentioning it briefly over dinner one night. 

"it's like she's been for-forgotten because corcoran's missing," bill commented as he let edward's poster drop back down. 

"is it ever gonna end?" stan asked, a hint of anger in his voice. 

"what are you guys talking about?" eddie asked cheerfully as he joined the group with two ice creams in hand. 

addie smiled softly as richie took one of the ice cream's from eddie's hand.