5. Door of Dread

Genocide Jill gasped in alarm, the blade had been stopped only an inch above her head. She couldn't see what had happened. Why had he stopped all of a sudden? Was he getting cold feet? No, that was anger and determination in his eyes. Something had stopped him from killing her, but who had?

Munakata lifted his sword and growled angrily, "YOU LITTLE- "

He swung his sword at something behind Genocider. She got far away from Munakata and turned to look at the doorway. She couldn't help but cry out.

"Komaru!"

Komaru had run up to Munakata before he could kill Genocide Jill. She held her arms above her head, blocking the sword from impact with her bracelet. Her arms shook and she was using all her strength.

A familiar tone rang out from the device around her bracelet.

Komaru fell to her knees. Her arm was quickly becoming a horrible shade of purple and she was crying.

"I'm...sorry....Toki..." She rasped, she smiled weakly at Genocide Jill, "I...c...ouldn't....let.......you...........d.......di...e...."

Komaru finally hit the ground, losing the ability to sit upright. She shuddered one last time before becoming still. Her bracelet beeped and a message popped up on the small screen.

Forbidden Action; Be in the same room as Munakata Kyosuke.

Munakata barely gave them time to acknowledge Komaru's death before turning on Genocide Jill.

"That's it! Isn't it? You're all remnants! I had my suspicions of course, but this confirms it! Your protecting Byakuya Togami so that I won't kill the mastermind!"

Somehow none of them had registered the other two in the room. Perhaps it was because they were hidden in the shadows.

Byakuya Togami was sitting up in the far left corner. He had been tied up or restrained somehow. He remained quiet as he glared at the floor, eyes barely moving.

Kyoko Kirigiri was hunched over in the opposite corner. Her eyes were closed. It was unclear whether she was even alive from their vantage point. She also looked as if she had been restrained, hands behind her back.

Munakata glared at them all. He raised his sword threateningly, a crazed look in his eyes, "I will annihilate all of despair! I will kill all of you! All Remnants of despair will be eradicated! I will ensure it!"

Genocide Jill suddenly collapsed onto the floor. Munakata turned to her.

"May this be the first death of your kind, of despair!" Once again, he raised his sword over her head.

"No! Stop it!" Ryota had run into the room, waving his hands in alarm, "Surely there's a better way!"

Munakata was reaching his limit of patience, "There is no other way. Despair must be destroyed. I will bring hope back to this world!" Munakata shoved his katana into Toko's back.

Or at least, where Toko's back had been a moment before. His sword had only penetrated the stone floor beneath him. He yelled out in rage, grabbed his katana and tried to pull it out of the floor. It was stuck.

Makoto realized that they had some time before he pulled it out again.

"Grab them run! I'll follow behind!"

Ryota hesitated for a second but nodded, he carefully pulled Kyoko onto his back and started heading out.

Makoto realized that Toko had lifted up Byakuya and was already running past him.

Ryota ran out following behind Makoto. Makoto closed the door behind him as he started power walking after them.

He remembered Aoi's comment when he said he would go after Munakata.

"-Doing what? Power walking?"

He had realized what a bad move it must have been to make but now it was his only option. He didn't have much time to catch up with them before Munakata found a way out of the room.

He had been walking for only ten minutes when there came a familiar chime.

Beeeeeeeooooeeeep ding ding

Dread filled him as he realized how out in the open he was, but that thought was quickly quieted, as he collapsed onto the floor.