8. Swordsman of a Dead Hope

Makoto barely saw the blood splatter the floor when they turned a corner.

"He just killed Toko!" Makoto's voice echoed around them, "He didn't even hesitate!"

"We can't worry about that right now. We have to focus on getting out of here. The game may be over, but Munakata definitely isn't." Kyoko stated.

They heard the pounding footsteps behind them. Munakata was chasing after them with all his speed.

"Don't run from me! You can't hide from me forever! You're going to have to face me eventually! The remnants of despair will be destroyed!" He shouted as he chased after them. He was gaining on them quickly.

"There's got to be a better way!" Makoto shouted back at him, "We can work this out!"

"Quiet! Remnants like you don't deserve negotiation! Your lies can't fool me! I won't let you make others suffer like I have!" He raised his arm, pointing it at Ryota.

Tink Tink Tink

A small blade released from a gadget attached to his wrist. Makoto recognizes it as Kazuo Tengan's defense weapon. Munakata must have taken it from him when he died.

"Ryota! Look out!" Makoto yelled out, praying Ryota wouldn't question him.

Ryota dodged just as the blade past his head. Munakata shot a few more.

Tink Tink Tink

He missed, running while using a ranged weapon seemed to be a weak point for him. He growled in rage. Grabbing his katana again, Munakata races forward, gaining more speed than before.

"He's gaining on us!" Makoto yelled, "He's gonna hold us at knifepoint if we don't make a move!"

"...I'll ...see what I can do..." Ryota said slowly.

Makoto was surprised at his Auden change in behavior, "What? No! I'm sure we can all get out of here if we stick together!"

Ryota laughed a little, "It's fine... I think I owe you guys a lot... if it weren't for you I'd be dead by now so... I'll do it... maybe this time I can actually help instead of just... hurting people... I think I know what I can do..."

Makoto saw Ryota do something with his hand and turn around. He extended his arm out towards Munakata. Slowly Munakata stopped his running.

Kyoko slowed down for a moment. They turned to see Ryota holding out something in front of Munakata's eyes.

Ryota shook slightly as he watched Munakata lower his katana to his side. Watched as Munakata's face came to a rest. The angry look in his eyes faded away.

Ryota smiled as he fell to his knees in front of Munakata. He muttered something only Munakata could hear.

Makoto called out to him, "Mitari! Are you okay? What did you just do? Are we safe?"

Ryota didn't get a chance to answer. He dropped the phone in his hand and it clanked onto the floor.

"Mitarai?!" Makoto made to get off Kyoko's back but she shook her head.

"He's just done his forbidden action." Kyoko muttered, eyes slightly wider than usual as she watched Ryota's body fall to the side.

"What?!?" Makoto was shocked, "What did he even do?"

"I'm not quite sure but it had something to do with that phone."

Munakata was stirring again. He turned to look at them. His gaze felt different, as if something had been removed from them, and had been filled with something else.

"Naegi... we have to run."

"Why? He isn't attacking us, he's just watching." Makoto stared back at Munakata.

"That's not the look of someone who's gonna be merciful. I can hear Death's footsteps approaching. Let's go."

"But-"

"No, we're moving forward." Kyoko began to run again, "Trust me. He's going to attack again if we don't-"

"RRRRRRRHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH"

Munakata screamed louder than Makoto had ever heard somebody scream in his life. He drew up his sword again and charged.